Author Topic: Deleting image in preview window sends that window behind contact sheet  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
Using PMPv5465 on Windows, 10, when I review / cull ingested images via the 100% preview window, once I press to delete an image the preview window goes behind the main PMP window / contact sheet.  I then have to select this preview window to continue seeing the images at 100% and continue the "cull".
Is this normal behaviour or am I using PMPO incorrectly?
TIA
Dave

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Deleting image in preview window sends that window behind contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 10:13:38 AM »
Dave,

Using PMPv5465 on Windows, 10, when I review / cull ingested images via the 100% preview window, once I press to delete an image the preview window goes behind the main PMP window / contact sheet.  I then have to select this preview window to continue seeing the images at 100% and continue the "cull".
Is this normal behaviour or am I using PMP incorrectly?

Sounds like unwanted behavior at the least.  When you say 100% preview window, do you have the Preview window in 'full screen mode' at the time that you delete an image?

-Kirk

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 10:37:16 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Do not have wither the contact sheet window or the preview window at 100% - they are probably at 80-90% of the screen/display.  Screen size is 4096x2160px if it makes any difference.

On a related point - and tell me if I should use another thread - when I open the preview screen the image is at about 25%. When I press "+" to enlarge it goes to 200% - is this normal or have I missed a setting somewhere?

Thanks again for your prompt response - I am slowly getting used to PMP - now almost two months....

Dave

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 10:45:08 AM »
Dave,

Do not have wither the contact sheet window or the preview window at 100% - they are probably at 80-90% of the screen/display.  Screen size is 4096x2160px if it makes any difference.

OK, good to know.  Thank you for the additional information.

On a related point - and tell me if I should use another thread - when I open the preview screen the image is at about 25%. When I press "+" to enlarge it goes to 200% - is this normal or have I missed a setting somewhere?

Normal.  Pressing + increases the zoom setting and turns on zoom mode if it is not already on.  If all you want to do is enter zoom mode at the current magnification, press 'z'.  Or hold down the Ctrl key and click on an area of interest and it will zoom in at the current setting.  Ctrl-clicking again will turn off zoom mode.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 10:47:21 AM »
Kirk,

Many thanks for prompt reply - one day I may get my head around all the features available in PMP!

Dave

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 11:22:12 AM »
Dave,

Is this normal behaviour or am I using PMPO incorrectly?

I'm unable to reproduce the problem on my Windows 10 system.  I have the Preview window in front of the Contact Sheet window and I press the delete key.  A dialog appears, asking me if I want to move the selected item to the Recycle Bin.  I click yes and the image is delete and the Preview window remains in front of the Contact Sheet window.

-Kirk

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »
Kirk,

One further piece of information is that I have two monitors and the one I use for PMP is the "second" one.

Having closed the programme and restarted it, it is not exhibiting this behaviour.  Deleting an image in preview mode allows the preview mode to stay on top of the contact sheet. I have not made any changes to the PC since I closed PMP. 

I had just ingested 100 or so images when the described behaviour made me write to the forum.  I have just ingested a dozen images and te preview window is staying on top as expected.

I will try again when I have another batch to ingest on a different day so they go into a discrete folder.

Confused as to difference but please it seems to work now.
Dave

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 05:45:54 AM »
Kirk,

Back again. Am seeing the same behaviour when deleting images in preview.  Today I have ingested about a dozen images.  Closed PMP and went out taking some more images.  Have just ingested another 30 images and, culling via the preview screen at 100%, any deletion causes the preview screen to go behind the contact sheet. The only other action I have carried out was to add keywords to the original 12 images - I had not key worded the latest ingest.

The above behaviour is seen when using the contact sheet that appears with the current ingest (i.e., today's photos).  If I close all contact sheets and open the whole catalogue in one contact sheet, the deleting in preview mode does NOT cause the preview window to go behind the contact sheet.

If I open a contact sheet by browsing for the keyword (added above), I can delete 100% preview without the preview window going behind other contact sheets.

Does any of this make sense? 

Dave
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:26:57 AM by Dewcal »

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:12:49 AM »
Dave,

You mentioned that you were Ingesting.  Do you have any settings in your Ingest that create contact sheets during the ingest (not in the background) or have notifications in the Ingest Progress window turned on?

Our testers are only able to reproduce the problem with those settings on.  Otherwise deleting does not bring the Contact Sheet window forward.

-Kirk

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 12:38:46 PM »
Kirk,

I have "open contact sheets during ingest" showing. I apply a global metadata template and copy files direct to a folder without renaming.

Am not sure about notifications - I do see a progress bar or is that different?

Thanks for help
Dave

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 01:17:47 PM »
Dave,

I have "open contact sheets during ingest" showing. I apply a global metadata template and copy files direct to a folder without renaming.

Am not sure about notifications - I do see a progress bar or is that different?

It's in the Ingest Progress window.  You should be able to access it from the Window menu in the menu bar.

-Kirk

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 01:29:11 PM »
Kirk,

I can "ingest tasks" in the Windows menu.  This is set to "Always how this dialog when an Ingest starts" and automatically "hide task dialog when all tasks have been completed".

Should I change these settings to avoid the "delete problem" I am seeing?

Thanks
Dave

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 02:10:45 PM »
Hi Dave,

I can "ingest tasks" in the Windows menu.  This is set to "Always how this dialog when an Ingest starts" and automatically "hide task dialog when all tasks have been completed".

Should I change these settings to avoid the "delete problem" I am seeing?

Those settings should be fine.

When the Contact Sheet is brought forward, are there any Photo Mechanic message dialogs displayed in addition to the Contact Sheet window?

Thanks,
Jerry

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 02:17:04 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for getting back to me and your comments re these settings.  These are the ones that appear to be causing me the issue.

When I bring the preview window forward, I do not see any message dialogues on the screen.  I will be taking more images tomorrow and will try again when I ingest them.

Dave

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 07:58:16 AM »
Hello Dave, Jerry & Kirk
I was able to reproduce the problem 1:1 because I had a similar problem (see my topic 'Problem with the Structured Keywords Panel'). Dave, you mentioned that you add keywords, that made me think. The problem is caused by the 'Keywords Panel' and the 'Structured Keywords Panel'! I can reproduce the error with both panels.

Try it: Close PMP completely and then reopen the program. Open an image in the Preview window and delete the photo. It will work without problems and the next photo in the series will appear in the preview window, right? So, and now open either the 'Keywords Panel' or the 'Structured Keywords Panel'. You can close the panel immediately without attaching a keyword. And now try to delete a photo in the preview window and the error will happen again!

You can also try the problem described in my topic: instead of deleting an image, you simply click on anything outside of PMP. And then back on the preview window. Disappears into the background, right? If you close PMP again and then reopen the problem is gone. Until you use 'Keywords Panel' or the 'Structured Keywords Panel' again.

Erich
www.FlyingLeopard.ch Aviation and Wildlife Photography