Author Topic: Preview window doesn't memorize settings  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Whitesnake

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preview window doesn't memorize settings
« on: January 07, 2021, 10:49:04 PM »
I'm not sure if it's a Big Sur or M1 specific bug, but every time I close PM, it doesn't memorize my preview window settings (and size/position).

Machine: MBP 13 M1 (Base)
PM: Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 5404 (e13fb4f)

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
Re: Preview window doesn't memorize settings
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 11:30:25 PM »
Hello

mine is  Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 5438 (a729133)

I am interested in your experience with the MBP M1.
How much memory and what disk size?
Do you use very heavy RAW? Mine weigh 44 MB

thank you

Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 08:22:53 AM »
I'm not sure if it's a Big Sur or M1 specific bug, but every time I close PM, it doesn't memorize my preview window settings (and size/position).

Machine: MBP 13 M1 (Base)
PM: Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 5404 (e13fb4f)

Do any of your preferences persist?  I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Whitesnake

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 10:11:41 PM »
@Kirk: I have uploaded the file. Everything else (except the preview-window settings) works fine.

@Soizic: I am using the base PM-version (not the plus one). I have the basic Macbook Pro M1 with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB Storage. I work with 30 GB nef-Files from a Nikon Z6. At the moment there is no problem, but you feel that the GPU is not a powerful one. But if you want to know some benchmarks from Capture One:

I have a test-catalog with 593 nef-files edited in color and black-white and different settings applied (corrections as well) and exported it to jpg 70 quality and 4000 px for the longer side of the picture:

.) MBP M1: 12:17 minutes
.) HP 830 G5 (Intel i5 8350U, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD-storage): 35:00 minutes
.) Workstation (AMD Ryzen 3900X, 32 GB overclocked RAM, 1 TB SSD-storage, untervolted and slightly overclocked Radeon VII): 3:18 minutes

During exporting the MBP didn't make a sound, completely silent. Capture One uses for export CPU & GPU power (which Lightroom doesn't).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 10:51:43 PM »
@Kirk: I have uploaded the file. Everything else (except the preview-window settings) works fine.

I see nothing going wrong in your log file.  Is there anything unusual about the position of the Preview window when you close it?  Is it partially off-screen or spread across two displays?

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 11:28:22 PM »
@Whitesmake

Thanks, very interesting !
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Whitesnake

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 08:31:53 PM »

I see nothing going wrong in your log file.  Is there anything unusual about the position of the Preview window when you close it?  Is it partially off-screen or spread across two displays?

-Kirk

No, I just use the interval MBP screen. I made some further investigations: if I maximize the preview-windows via double-clicking the title of the preview (like you normaly maximize withing MacOS a window) it isn't saved. If I drag the preview-windows manually to my desired position, it will be saved.

Another thing I discovered: when I drag the preview window manually, I can't save the status, where the preview is in full view mode (F). I think this occured with 10.15 as well.

Can you reproduce my steps?

I have attached a screenshot with the position of the preview-windows, before I found the manual method of draging the preview-window.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 11:57:54 AM »
No, I just use the interval MBP screen. I made some further investigations: if I maximize the preview-windows via double-clicking the title of the preview (like you normaly maximize withing MacOS a window) it isn't saved. If I drag the preview-windows manually to my desired position, it will be saved.

Double-clicking on a window title for me minimizes the window to the Dock.

Another thing I discovered: when I drag the preview window manually, I can't save the status, where the preview is in full view mode (F). I think this occured with 10.15 as well.

The full screen state of the window is not saved and restored.  Only the positioned and sized window is saved and restored.

-Kirk