Author Topic: Error message when toggling  (Read 3084 times)

Offline birder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Error message when toggling
« on: January 15, 2021, 06:29:59 AM »
Hi I am using Windows 10 and Camera Bits 6.0, build 5404 (e13fb4f).
I prefer to rename my images whilst still on my camera SD card when I put it into a card reader, before then transferring the images to my PC. However, when I try to toggle an image using one SD card in my open contact sheet, I get the following error message:-
"While toggling a tag an error occurred: Unable to create XMP sidecar file at 'O\DCIM\', folder may not be writeable."
I do not get the error message when using another SD card and as far as I can tell both cards are neither full nor image protected / locked.
I do not understand this and would be grateful for any help.
Thanks Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Error message when toggling
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 07:35:36 AM »
Kevin,

Hi I am using Windows 10 and Camera Bits 6.0, build 5404 (e13fb4f).
I prefer to rename my images whilst still on my camera SD card when I put it into a card reader, before then transferring the images to my PC. However, when I try to toggle an image using one SD card in my open contact sheet, I get the following error message:-
"While toggling a tag an error occurred: Unable to create XMP sidecar file at 'O\DCIM\', folder may not be writeable."
I do not get the error message when using another SD card and as far as I can tell both cards are neither full nor image protected / locked.

If Photo Mechanic can't create a file due to either the card being locked, the card being in a format that the OS can't write to (read-only file system), or some kind of permissions problem then the issue you're having will occur.  It can also be that the disk is so full that the file can't be created.

We strongly advise against modifying your images or editing on your card.  That card contains the only copy of your images.  If data loss were to occur then your photos can be lost forever.  Ingest first, then edit.

-Kirk