Author Topic: Clear Button for Search  (Read 5327 times)

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
    • Michael Naylor Fine Art Photography
Clear Button for Search
« on: January 17, 2021, 03:21:40 PM »
I'm happy to discuss this further and perhaps come up with a more workable solution for all involved, but we're not there yet.
Please don't even consider this.  However, I would appreciate having Clear button added to the Search tab.
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Clear Button for Search
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 03:41:56 PM »
Michael,

I'm happy to discuss this further and perhaps come up with a more workable solution for all involved, but we're not there yet.
Please don't even consider this.  However, I would appreciate having Clear button added to the Search tab.

It would just clear out the text field?

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »
Michael,

-Kirk
It would clear the text field AND whatever had been found by that text.  E.g. I search for "Dalmatians" and 101 Dalmatians are returned.  I click the Clear button and they all disappear from view.  Isn't this what happens with the Clear buttons in the Filter and Browse tabs?

Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 04:22:23 PM »
Michael,

It would clear the text field AND whatever had been found by that text.  E.g. I search for "Dalmatians" and 101 Dalmatians are returned.  I click the Clear button and they all disappear from view.  Isn't this what happens with the Clear buttons in the Filter and Browse tabs?

The Clear button in those two tabs clear out all selections and run the query with what remains (nothing).  In the case of Browse, nothing is selected so nothing is shown (instructions appear that tell you to make a selection).  In the case of the Filter, nothing is selected so nothing is filtered, and all images are shown.

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 11:33:14 AM »
I posted a feature request for this and its been marked as implemented.  Perhaps I didn't explain it too well and I hadn't noticed that tiny little circle on left side of the search field.

But I'm really asking for a real button labeled "Clear" and situated above the search field.  It would clear the search field AND restore the contact sheet to what was there before. In other words, it would UNDO the search. 

I feel that would be useful, intuitive, and be consistent with what we have in the Filter and Browse panes?
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 11:47:01 AM »
Michael,

I posted a feature request for this and its been marked as implemented.  Perhaps I didn't explain it too well and I hadn't noticed that tiny little circle on left side of the search field.

But I'm really asking for a real button labeled "Clear" and situated above the search field.  It would clear the search field AND restore the contact sheet to what was there before. In other words, it would UNDO the search.

I don't understand the UNDO part.  It would go back to the last search query used?

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 12:27:49 PM »
Michael,

I don't understand the UNDO part.  It would go back to the last search query used?

-Kirk

It would clear the search field AND restore the contact sheet to what was there before.
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 12:55:51 PM »
Michael,

It would clear the search field AND restore the contact sheet to what was there before.

meaning... the last query used to produce the search results tab.

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 01:37:03 AM »
Michael,

-Kirk

Not quite...

If you had an active Filter and you'd Searched on that, it would restore all of what the Filter had found.

If you'd had a previously empty contact sheet (as when you first open PMP) it would restore to that (empty).
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 09:05:51 AM »
Michael,

-Kirk

Not quite...

If you had an active Filter and you'd Searched on that, it would restore all of what the Filter had found.

If you'd had a previously empty contact sheet (as when you first open PMP) it would restore to that (empty).

Search results go into Search tabs.  Filters go into Filter tabs.  I don't understand what you mean by "you had an active Filter and you'd Searched on that" ?

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 10:57:49 AM »
Got to the Filter tab and filter for something.   Now go to Search tab and enter some text to search with.  The result will be a search with the previous results.   So now, how do you return it to what it was?  Clearing the search text won't do that.  Have you ever used PMP?
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 11:14:15 AM »
Got to the Filter tab and filter for something.   Now go to Search tab and enter some text to search with.  The result will be a search with the previous results.   So now, how do you return it to what it was?  Clearing the search text won't do that.  Have you ever used PMP?

No need to be a jerk about it, Michael.

I take it that you're using the checkbox in the Search labeled "Only Search Contact Sheet Items"?

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 11:21:07 AM »

No need to be a jerk about it, Michael.

I take it that you're using the checkbox in the Search labeled "Only Search Contact Sheet Items"?

-Kirk

Yes to the assertion and yes to the question, but I have known a few software engineers who've spend more time coding than pretending to be a user who's never coded.
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 11:32:09 AM »
It's good to finally know what you want the feature to do.

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 11:42:33 AM »
It's good to finally know what you want the feature to do.

-Kirk

So now we're on the same wavelength, please can you consider adding a preference checkbox to default which of these buttons is selected at launch?
Michael