Author Topic: Change caption, key word  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• freelance photographer from Stockholm Sweden
    • View Profile
    • RVBILD
Change caption, key word
« on: January 20, 2021, 02:00:43 AM »
I have image in my catalog with some wrong key words.  I rewrite the captions and change keyword. -> copy to template.
Then i select all of the images  and then apply  Metadata template. But now is the caption is right but not the keywords. It has both the old and new keywords added. If I instead copy and paste it will work. Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 5438 (a729133) and Mac OS Big Sur.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 12:10:08 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline PauloBMB

• View Profile
Re: Change caption, key word
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 07:20:49 AM »
Hi Roger,

You probably have the checkbox to append keywords selected. So instead of replacing it is appending the new keyword.

Regards,

Paulo

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:38:48 AM »
no checkbox how to insert image?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 12:12:52 PM »
Roger,

no checkbox how to insert image?

Unchecking the append (+) checkbox will make the applied template overwrite (replace) the contents of the field with what is being applied.  Setting the append (+) checkbox will add the template data to the existing data.  There is no inserting.  Keywords are sorted, so even appending won't put them at the end.

-Kirk

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 01:55:42 AM »
Sorry. About image,,
 I mean how to put a image in this message "screenshot" so i can better explain what i mean.
There is no checkbox for me to (+)
If I open the information botton I in the image 8 metadata(IPTC) info.... the text caption Key word and so append ...

To the left of Keyword window there is no checkbox. If I Change the keyword just for one image It*s ok
But If I save the settings Copy to Template and then mark several images and Apply Metat data Template to selected images
It ads the keywords not replace it.

Offline PauloBMB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 07:29:35 AM »
Ok, I think I understand what is going on. There are 2 Iptc panels, the INFO panell and the Template panel. After you save the metadata from the Info panel you have to open the Template panel (Command + I) and then you will see the checkbox. I am no expert here but I had the same problem when I started using PM. Hope that helps.
Regards
Paulo

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 08:40:01 AM »
Yes I helped. Shoud not be like this , You always have oh check te checkbox Hmmm

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 09:15:15 AM »
Roger,

Sorry. About image,,
 I mean how to put a image in this message "screenshot" so i can better explain what i mean.
There is no checkbox for me to (+)
If I open the information button I in the image 8 metadata(IPTC) info.... the text caption Key word and so append ...

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

To the left of Keyword window there is no checkbox. If I Change the keyword just for one image It*s ok
But If I save the settings Copy to Template and then mark several images and Apply Metadata Template to selected images
It ads the keywords not replace it.

This is intentional.  If it didn't automatically set the append mode for the various fields for you then it would potentially wipe out existing data without your knowledge or intent.  If you intend to cause a field to be overwritten you should use the Metadata Template and uncheck the append checkboxes for the the fields that you intend to force a complete replacement.  This is for your safety.

-Kirk

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 12:01:21 PM »
ok tank you

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 07:43:42 AM »
Hi Roger
I also had wrong keywords in my photos. There is another way to delete or replace wrong keywords. Click on 'Edit' and then 'Find and replace'.

Find: the incorrect keyword
Replace: the correct keyword to replace the incorrect. If you leave this field empty then the incorrect keyword will be deleted and not replaced by another keyword
In: Selected items or All items
Searching: Metadata

In the list below choose 'Keywords'

Regards,
Erich
www.FlyingLeopard.ch Aviation and Wildlife Photography