Author Topic: How do files update when they're modified?  (Read 3073 times)

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
How do files update when they're modified?
« on: January 19, 2021, 12:10:20 PM »
Right now I'm using LR for all my cataloging & editing needs but am looking into using Capture 1 & PM+ (with photoshop when necessary...sadly). I used to use Media Pro (may it rest in peace). Over a year ago I did some early beta testing of PM+ but abandoned it because of time constraints. I'm circling back around now.

I know you can have images in your catalog when they're offline but is it possible to apply metadata to offline files and when said files are back online the metadata is pushed to the files?

It seems like PM+ is broken down into two sections, the navigator (basically a file browser where you can make changes to metadata) and the organizer (where the catalog is). Can you make any metadata changes in the organizer? Or are changes strictly done in the browser?

I ask the above question because I'm thinking in the mind of a LR & Media Pro user, where if you made a change to the file in the program you have to sync/push it to the file. I'm trying to wrap my head around how PM+ handles this. I know when you make a change to the file in PMs navigator it changes it in the file instantly (and vice versa if you change the files metadata in another program). But how do changes register in the catalog? Do files need to be updated/rescanned/synced (not sure what verbiage PM uses for this)?

Hope this make sense. Thanks in advance!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How do files update when they're modified?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 12:18:29 PM »
Right now I'm using LR for all my cataloging & editing needs but am looking into using Capture 1 & PM+ (with photoshop when necessary...sadly). I used to use Media Pro (may it rest in peace). Over a year ago I did some early beta testing of PM+ but abandoned it because of time constraints. I'm circling back around now.

I know you can have images in your catalog when they're offline but is it possible to apply metadata to offline files and when said files are back online the metadata is pushed to the files?

No, not yet.  The images must be online to be able to be modified.

It seems like PM+ is broken down into two sections, the navigator (basically a file browser where you can make changes to metadata) and the organizer (where the catalog is). Can you make any metadata changes in the organizer? Or are changes strictly done in the browser?

You can make changes to metadata to any online files in folder-based contact sheet tabs and in any contact sheet tabs that the Organizer produces (Search, Filter, Browse, Collections.)

I ask the above question because I'm thinking in the mind of a LR & Media Pro user, where if you made a change to the file in the program you have to sync/push it to the file. I'm trying to wrap my head around how PM+ handles this. I know when you make a change to the file in PMs navigator it changes it in the file instantly (and vice versa if you change the files metadata in another program). But how do changes register in the catalog? Do files need to be updated/rescanned/synced (not sure what verbiage PM uses for this)?

If you make metadata changes from within Photo Mechanic Plus, your catalog(s) should be updated automatically.

-Kirk

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 07:18:51 AM »
If you make metadata changes from within Photo Mechanic Plus, your catalog(s) should be updated automatically.

Are those updates pushed to the images immediately or do those updates just live within the catalog until they are pushed to the images? It's easy to get confused on some of these terms so what is PM+'s definition of catalog?

Also, a little off topic, but has this issue been solved: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13743.msg67812#msg67812 ? I've got several TB of images and don't want a 100gb+ catalog.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 08:10:54 AM »

Are those updates pushed to the images immediately or do those updates just live within the catalog until they are pushed to the images?

The metadata updates are saved to the images immediately and then the catalog database is updated.

It's easy to get confused on some of these terms so what is PM+'s definition of catalog?

A searchable database.

Also, a little off topic, but has this issue been solved: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13743.msg67812#msg67812 ? I've got several TB of images and don't want a 100gb+ catalog.

No, it has not.

-Kirk

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 08:30:51 AM »

No, it has not.

Is this on the docket to address? It is a major hindrance to me in using the app, and I'd assume to others. There are images I've shot 5 years ago that I never really look at. Having a smaller thumbnail/preview of those is best and could significantly cut down on size. Would be great if you could reduce the size of certain images after a certain amount of time.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 08:32:23 AM »

No, it has not.

Is this on the docket to address? It is a major hindrance to me in using the app, and I'd assume to others. There are images I've shot 5 years ago that I never really look at. Having a smaller thumbnail/preview of those is best and could significantly cut down on size. Would be great if you could reduce the size of certain images after a certain amount of time.

Yes, the title of the engineering task is: "Allow customization of Catalog Preview Proxy size"

-Kirk

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 08:40:26 AM »
I'm assuming clicking Follow here (https://docs.camerabits.com/support/discussions/topics/48000561220) will allow me to be alerted to when this is fixed?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 09:06:42 AM »
I'm assuming clicking Follow here (https://docs.camerabits.com/support/discussions/topics/48000561220) will allow me to be alerted to when this is fixed?

Yes, you should get an email at the email address that you used to create your account.

-Kirk