Author Topic: Opening Affinty Photo files in Photo Mechanic  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Bones

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Opening Affinty Photo files in Photo Mechanic
« on: January 22, 2021, 11:32:50 PM »
Hello Support,  I wondered how difficult it would be for Photo Mechanic to enable the standard files that Affinity Photo (UK company based in Nottingham UK) to be displayed as an image when they are selected.  Currently all I see is what is included as an attachment.   Affinity Photo has been around for quite a long time now...........  It gets better every month and there are tens of thousands of users all over planet earth.  I have no axe to grind.  Perhaps this is a difficult job.  Await your supports considered thoughts when you have time.
Regards
John Skelton in exile in the Slovak Republic.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Opening Affinty Photo files in Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 11:44:30 AM »
John,

I wondered how difficult it would be for Photo Mechanic to enable the standard files that Affinity Photo (UK company based in Nottingham UK) to be displayed as an image when they are selected.

Zip one up and post it here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Bones

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 07:28:12 PM »
The file was not changed in size when I tried to ZIP it so I have attached the original affinity photo file.  Hope this helps. John Skelton

Offline chromos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 08:37:31 PM »
Within context of sending file(s) over web, compression isn't always for smaller file size. It is for being sure the file isn't altered through its travel from sender to recipient. Another advantage of zipping files is that if the recipient can unpack the file, he know the file arrived in its entirety.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 09:30:57 PM »
John,

The file was not changed in size when I tried to ZIP it so I have attached the original affinity photo file.  Hope this helps. John Skelton

The image only has a small PNG preview (on the order of 512x512) which would only be suitable for thumbnails and we would not be able to write metadata into the file.

-Kirk

Offline Bones

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 12:35:04 AM »
Hi Kirk,  Sorry about my misunderstanding about what ZIP is about.  You have to understand that when I went to school there were only computers in our comic books.  Not even an electronic calculator was available and they would have been confiscated any way if they had existed.

I have used Affinity Photo now for many years.  The programme keeps on getting better and better............ You only have to buy it once and not pay out a monthly subscription.  This is making the programme more and more popular.

From my perspective I only want to see the image of the affinity photo file.  The meta data is not that important I select the files from seeing the image.   I keep having to swap programmes at the moment which is time wasting. 
Thanks very much for your guidance.  I really do appreciate it.
Best regards John Edwin in exile in Slovakia. 

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 07:26:47 AM »
John,

Hi Kirk,  Sorry about my misunderstanding about what ZIP is about.  You have to understand that when I went to school there were only computers in our comic books.  Not even an electronic calculator was available and they would have been confiscated any way if they had existed.

I have used Affinity Photo now for many years.  The programme keeps on getting better and better............ You only have to buy it once and not pay out a monthly subscription.  This is making the programme more and more popular.

From my perspective I only want to see the image of the affinity photo file.  The meta data is not that important I select the files from seeing the image.   I keep having to swap programmes at the moment which is time wasting. 
Thanks very much for your guidance.  I really do appreciate it.

I'm not sure how you made that zip file but when I unzip it, I get some other kind of zip file that when unzipped produces another kind of zip file and this repeats.

The file you originally sent appears to be fully intact.  It just contains only a thumbnail.  If all you're wanting is to see a preview of the file and use Photo Mechanic to act as a launcher for Affinity Photo, it should work fine for that purpose.  However, there will be no way for Photo Mechanic to show you a full resolution version of the image.

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 02:26:10 AM »
John and Kirk,

I hope it´s ok to join, as I am also a Affinity Photo User. The size of the .afphoto files are so big I avoid using that format as much as possible. A raw file of 24 MB becomes a .afphoto file of 160 MB after I finished editing.

My actual problem is that PM does not show my .afphoto files at all, which PM has done in the past (same as John´s files). Is it possible that I have somehow managed to exclude .afphoto files in PM?

Lars

MacOS 10.15.7 / PM+ build 5438

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 09:02:46 AM »
Lars,

I hope it's ok to join, as I am also a Affinity Photo User. The size of the .afphoto files are so big I avoid using that format as much as possible. A raw file of 24 MB becomes a .afphoto file of 160 MB after I finished editing.

My actual problem is that PM does not show my .afphoto files at all, which PM has done in the past (same as John's files). Is it possible that I have somehow managed to exclude .afphoto files in PM?

You probably have the setting "Unknown Files as Proxies" on the View menu turned off.  The '.afphoto' file type is unknown to Photo Mechanic.  If you don't show unknown files as proxies, they won't be shown at all.

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 11:34:02 AM »
Kirk,

Thank you. Turning on "Unknown Files as Proxies" solved my problem.

Lars