Author Topic: Raw rendering on macOS  (Read 1481 times)

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Raw rendering on macOS
« on: January 23, 2021, 03:24:52 PM »
I know PM and PM+ don't do Raw rendering internally, or at least I think they don't.  However, I can clearly look at files (Sony .arw's) and after a few seconds, a full size render appears.  The same thing happens when I look at my Leica DNG files.  The DNGs have small embedded previews (1440x960), but clearly after I load up an image, the full 42 MP image snaps into view.  In the case of the DNGs, this full size image appears pretty quickly (it is monochrome camera, so no real raw rendering).

My question is what is going on here?  Is this PM/PM+ using Apple's background rendering engine or is something else going on?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Raw rendering on macOS
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 07:23:48 PM »
I know PM and PM+ don't do Raw rendering internally, or at least I think they don't.  However, I can clearly look at files (Sony .arw's) and after a few seconds, a full size render appears.  The same thing happens when I look at my Leica DNG files.  The DNGs have small embedded previews (1440x960), but clearly after I load up an image, the full 42 MP image snaps into view.  In the case of the DNGs, this full size image appears pretty quickly (it is monochrome camera, so no real raw rendering).

My question is what is going on here?  Is this PM/PM+ using Apple's background rendering engine or is something else going on?

It depends on your settings.  If you've enabled RAW rendering and chose an installed copy of the Adobe DNG Converter, then the converter is being used to render the RAW file.  If not, then PM is loading the embedded JPEG preview and showing that to you.

-Kirk

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Raw rendering on macOS
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 06:36:40 AM »
Strange.  I do have Adobe DNG converter on my computer, but I do not have it enabled in PM+.  I'm definitely getting full sized previews for files that as far as I understand, do not have full size previews embedded.

Anyway, I have no problem with the behavior, was just curious as to what was going on.