Author Topic: PM5 on Win 10: How to ingest a subset of images on an SDHC ?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline LateJunction

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 on Win 10: How to ingest a subset of images on an SDHC ?
« on: January 25, 2021, 12:45:47 PM »
I'm delighted to find that PM5 allows me to  ingest images into the folder structure and naming system that I want and to rename them to my preferences - but not at the same time. This is because the new image names required reflect the image content, so there are multiple 'patterns' of renaming to apply. I can find no way of choosing/ingesting/renaming only that sub-set of the images on the SDHC which will have common text in the renamed filename (such as an event name), but with variable other data (such as time or sequence number). How can I do this?

The only method I have found so far is to ingest all images on the card (which is the only option), to their relevant folders (for example, folder name created from shot-date), then, in a second step, browsing the images in a selected folder via the navigator, selecting the common set of images for renaming, in that folder and performing the rename task.  Repeat for all folders. Selecting these 'common' images directly from the SDHC and then ingesting/renaming in one operation does not work: PM5 ingests all the images on the card, so renaming creates inappropriate names.

What am I doing wrong?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 on Win 10: How to ingest a subset of images on an SDHC ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 01:00:10 PM »
I'm delighted to find that PM5 allows me to  ingest images into the folder structure and naming system that I want and to rename them to my preferences - but not at the same time. This is because the new image names required reflect the image content, so there are multiple 'patterns' of renaming to apply. I can find no way of choosing/ingesting/renaming only that sub-set of the images on the SDHC which will have common text in the renamed filename (such as an event name), but with variable other data (such as time or sequence number). How can I do this?

I can't tell what you're trying to accomplish well enough to suggest a solution.  Please provide some examples of what the source names look like and what the desired result is for those names.

The only method I have found so far is to ingest all images on the card (which is the only option), to their relevant folders (for example, folder name created from shot-date), then, in a second step, browsing the images in a selected folder via the navigator, selecting the common set of images for renaming, in that folder and performing the rename task.  Repeat for all folders. Selecting these 'common' images directly from the SDHC and then ingesting/renaming in one operation does not work: PM5 ingests all the images on the card, so renaming creates inappropriate names.

PM6 offers a new Ingest operation called Ingest from Selection which allows you to browse the card and select a set of images and then Ingest them.  You can repeat this as many times as you wish and only the selected images are ingested.

-Kirk

Offline LateJunction

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 02:49:40 AM »
Typically the fully qualified source filenames look like:
<Drive-ID>\<DCIM>\<100_FUJI>\<DSCF0nnn.RAF>

The desired, final result is of the form:
<Drive-ID>\<Pictures>\<Classification>\<YYYY>\<Month (alphabetic)>\<renamed filename> where <renamed filename> is of the form:

<YYMMDD_Some-meaniingful-custom-text_0nnn.RAF>
or
<YY-MM-DD_Some-meaniingful-custom-text_0nnn.RAF>
where the <YYMMDD> or <YY-MM-DD> variable represents the shot-date; the '0nnn' part of the filename is taken from the original file name.

[Later Edit]:
Please note that the value of the  'Some-meaningful-custom-text' variable will change, to reflect the subject matter, even on a given shot-date

As I said, I can achieve all of this, but in two passes because - as you have confirmed - there is no 'Ingest from Selection' in PM5. I cannot justify the purchase of PM6 when there are  other, free, offerings in the marketplace which can achieve the desired result in one pass - such as Bulk Rename Utility and Rapid Photo Downloader (Linux only) to name but two out of a population of perhaps 10 or so, excluding the option of writing my own script (shudder....). And, yes, I fully agree, there is considerable other functionality in PM5 which other options do not provide.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:10:29 AM by LateJunction »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 07:43:27 AM »
The Copy/Move Photos dialog will copy/move a selection and has most of the power of the Ingest dialog.  You could use that instead.

-Kirk

Offline LateJunction

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 09:16:28 AM »
OK, thanks. I'll study that option instead.