Author Topic: Adding Keywords to Multiple Photos Using Code Replacements  (Read 4346 times)

Offline DPC

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Adding Keywords to Multiple Photos Using Code Replacements
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:55:33 PM »
I'm trying to leverage code replacements (in PM v5) to update the keywords for multiple photos at once. Is this possible?

Here's what I've tried to no avail.  Select multiple photos with click + shift  (so they're highlighted in yellow), then click on the "i" icon to open the IPTC pop-up window. I then use code replacements to add the keywords, but then when I save.. it just saves the keywords to one photo.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 07:58:56 AM by DPC »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Adding Keywords to Multiple Photos Using Code Replacements
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 08:55:27 AM »
I'm trying to leverage code replacements (in PM v5) to update the keywords for multiple photos at once. Is this possible?

Here's what I've tried to no avail.  Select multiple photos with click + shift  (so they're highlighted in yellow), then click on the "i" icon to open the IPTC pop-up window. I then use code replacements to add the keywords, but then when I save.. it just saves the keywords to one photo.

You need to use the IPTC Stationery Pad.  It operates in bulk on a selection of images.  The IPTC Info dialog (the one you're using) operates on one photo at a time.

-Kirk

Offline DPC

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 10:27:11 AM »
Thank you Kirk and appreciate the quick reply!!   8)

Offline DPC

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 09:08:50 PM »
You need to use the IPTC Stationery Pad.  It operates in bulk on a selection of images.  The IPTC Info dialog (the one you're using) operates on one photo at a time.

-Kirk

Now that I know the IPTC Stationary Pad is there I'm looking for tips/suggestions on how to quickly tag a sequential series of photos with keywords .

e.g. At an event I photograph an athlete for 5-10 frames, then do the same for the next athlete, and so on... At the end of the day I need to add keywords to 200+ athletes. Using code replacement makes adding the "Bib#, Name, Team, etc..." very easy. However, I'm still struggling with the best way to minimize having to move my hand between the mouse + keyboard numerous times while using the IPTC Stationary Pad.

• Is there a way to change the hot key (CTRL + I) to open the IPTC Stationary pad? So it can be done with one hand.
  • Is there a setting in the IPTC Stationary Pad to make the cursor load in the "Keywords" field upon open? Currently this requires moving my hand back to the keyboard and using the mouse to select the Keyword field.*
  • Is there a hot-key in the IPTC Stationary pad to "Apply Stationary to Selected" Again another hands off the keyboard to the mouse to click the button

* I need to use the Keyword field instead of the Caption because of my workflow in Lightroom and the gallery search feature.

Thanks in advance!!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 08:06:27 AM »

Now that I know the IPTC Stationary Pad is there I'm looking for tips/suggestions on how to quickly tag a sequential series of photos with keywords .

e.g. At an event I photograph an athlete for 5-10 frames, then do the same for the next athlete, and so on... At the end of the day I need to add keywords to 200+ athletes. Using code replacement makes adding the "Bib#, Name, Team, etc..." very easy. However, I'm still struggling with the best way to minimize having to move my hand between the mouse + keyboard numerous times while using the IPTC Stationary Pad.

Is there a way to change the hot key (CTRL + I) to open the IPTC Stationary pad? So it can be done with one hand.

No.  I take it that your keyboard doesn't have a Control key on the right side of the keyboard?

Is there a setting in the IPTC Stationary Pad to make the cursor load in the "Keywords" field upon open? Currently this requires moving my hand back to the keyboard and using the mouse to select the Keyword field.*

No.

Is there a hot-key in the IPTC Stationary pad to "Apply Stationary to Selected" Again another hands off the keyboard to the mouse to click the button

Yes.  Put your mouse cursor over the button until the tooltip appears.  It should display the keyboard shortcut.

-Kirk