Author Topic: Speed import ingest  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Dominik Pluess

• View Profile
Speed import ingest
« on: February 12, 2021, 02:28:44 PM »
I just did a test. 60 NEF files of a Nikon D850 import to a MacBookPro 16" BigSur.
Ingest with PM 25 seconds, and ingest over apples Image Capture only 12 seconds. Why is there a speed difference of 100%?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Speed import ingest
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 02:31:40 PM »
Dominik,

I just did a test. 60 NEF files of a Nikon D850 import to a MacBookPro 16" BigSur.
Ingest with PM 25 seconds, and ingest over apples Image Capture only 12 seconds. Why is there a speed difference of 100%?

Hard to say.  Are you using two destinations?  Any variables for folder naming?  Renaming with variables?  Applying metadata during the ingest?

Any of those things will make the ingest slower than a file copy.

-Kirk

Offline Dominik Pluess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 03:11:19 AM »
One Destination, no variables, no renaming no applying of anything. Just ingest to a dated folder.

I tried with 30 GFX Fujifilm RAF's, there is still a difference, but less. 38 sec vs 31 sec.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 08:38:07 AM »
Dominik,

One Destination, no variables, no renaming no applying of anything. Just ingest to a dated folder.

I tried with 30 GFX Fujifilm RAF's, there is still a difference, but less. 38 sec vs 31 sec.

Ingest will always be slower than copying files with the OS.  Other factors will be whether you have Ingest open contact sheets during ingest.

Also, in your original test, did you ingest first and then copy with the OS?  Did you unmount the card between the two tests?  If not, your OS will have cached much of the data and the second test will have an unfair advantage.

-Kirk