Author Topic: Need help updating IPTC info  (Read 6752 times)

Offline JohnW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Need help updating IPTC info
« on: April 24, 2007, 02:15:17 PM »
I use PM to ingest, caption and keyword after my initial shoot. It's great. I'm cataloging with iView Media Pro and am now trying Lightroom. My problem is that I often have to add additional IPTC data in one of those programs such as new keywords or captions, but I cannot seem to get PM to read that updated information. I do the "Adjust IPTC/XMP" but nothing happens. I can see the new info in either iView or Lightroom. Do I have some settings wrong? Any help would be appreciated as I've spent way too many hours searching help columns and forums. Thanks. John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Need help updating IPTC info
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:00:24 PM »
John,

I use PM to ingest, caption and keyword after my initial shoot. It's great. I'm cataloging with iView Media Pro and am now trying Lightroom. My problem is that I often have to add additional IPTC data in one of those programs such as new keywords or captions, but I cannot seem to get PM to read that updated information. I do the "Adjust IPTC/XMP" but nothing happens. I can see the new info in either iView or Lightroom. Do I have some settings wrong? Any help would be appreciated as I've spent way too many hours searching help columns and forums.

Lightroom is going to be likely to update XMP when you make changes.  You can setup PM to check for XMP before it checks for IPTC.  Here is an example set of settings that work well for an Adobe workflow.  iView Media Pro is also XMP compatible so this should work well there too:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JohnW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 06:40:18 AM »
I tried those setttings as you suggested, Kirk, and still I cannot see the Keyword or Star ratings I set in LR or iView. If I drag the image folder into either of those programs, they are there, but not in PM. I hope we can find a solution as this is an important element of my workflow. Especially when I travel. If I return to India, for example, I'll copy my India images folder onto a pocket drive for the photos I may need while there. While on the road, PM is the fastest program to use to copy photos for my clients and adjust those sizes, etc. But I need it to read that IPTC info. Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 07:00:50 AM »
John,

I tried those setttings as you suggested, Kirk, and still I cannot see the Keyword or Star ratings I set in LR or iView. If I drag the image folder into either of those programs, they are there, but not in PM. I hope we can find a solution as this is an important element of my workflow. Especially when I travel. If I return to India, for example, I'll copy my India images folder onto a pocket drive for the photos I may need while there. While on the road, PM is the fastest program to use to copy photos for my clients and adjust those sizes, etc. But I need it to read that IPTC info. Thanks.

What file format(s) are you working with?

-Kirk

Offline JohnW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:48:35 AM »
Primarley JPEGs, some TIFFs & PSDs but in this test case, all JPEGS. I keep what RAW images I use in a separate location folder.

Offline JohnW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 09:20:44 AM »
I tried it again with a different folder of test images, and it worked. I went back to the original folder, and that was updated as well. So I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but it does seem to be working now. The only thing I did different than what you had suggested was that I left the "read IPTC-NAA Resources" checked (but use as a last resort). Not sure if that would have mattered anyway. I'll do a few more test folders before I submit this workflow to my entire image library. Thanks for your support. I've appreciated your quick responses, Kirk. That keeps me wanting to use PM as well as just being a fine product for photo storytellers. -John