Author Topic: Lightroom CC Metadata Issues  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Skoolie2001

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Lightroom CC Metadata Issues
« on: February 16, 2021, 03:29:36 PM »
Hi all,

I'm running Photo Mechanic 6 on a Mac (OS Catalina v 10.7.15). I use Photo Mechanic to sort, cull, and add metadata to my photos before importing my selects from Photo Mechanic (PM) into Lightroom (LR). I use Lightroom CC (the cloud-based one), version 4.1.

My issue is - none of the metadata that I add in PM transfers to LR.

I've tried importing photos into LR in various ways (which is a pain in and of itself because I get error messages from LR saying it can't import photos whenever I try to transfer more than 12-16 at a time). I've used the drag-and-drop method, where I select photos in PM and drag them to hover over the LR icon in my computer dock. I've tried using "Add Photos" from LR, and "Edit Photos" from the PM side. None of these bring the metadata in with my photos.

I shoot and edit RAW files, and I have my settings set to write sidecar XMP files. I can see the RAW and XMP files all on the external hard drive where I store my photos. When I try to import into LR, I'm selecting the RAW and XMP files from this hard drive. The photos show up in LR, but not their metadata.

Because LR CC is the newer, cloud-based version of LR, it doesn't have as many menu options as LR Classic. Many of the suggestions I've read in the forum are specific to LR Classic and don't work on LR CC because the menus don't even exist in LR CC.

Any metadata-troubleshooting suggestions specifically for us LR CC users?

Thanks for your help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lightroom CC Metadata Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 04:18:58 PM »
I'm running Photo Mechanic 6 on a Mac (OS Catalina v 10.7.15). I use Photo Mechanic to sort, cull, and add metadata to my photos before importing my selects from Photo Mechanic (PM) into Lightroom (LR). I use Lightroom CC (the cloud-based one), version 4.1.

My issue is - none of the metadata that I add in PM transfers to LR.

I've tried importing photos into LR in various ways (which is a pain in and of itself because I get error messages from LR saying it can't import photos whenever I try to transfer more than 12-16 at a time). I've used the drag-and-drop method, where I select photos in PM and drag them to hover over the LR icon in my computer dock. I've tried using "Add Photos" from LR, and "Edit Photos" from the PM side. None of these bring the metadata in with my photos.

I shoot and edit RAW files, and I have my settings set to write sidecar XMP files. I can see the RAW and XMP files all on the external hard drive where I store my photos. When I try to import into LR, I'm selecting the RAW and XMP files from this hard drive. The photos show up in LR, but not their metadata.

Because LR CC is the newer, cloud-based version of LR, it doesn't have as many menu options as LR Classic. Many of the suggestions I've read in the forum are specific to LR Classic and don't work on LR CC because the menus don't even exist in LR CC.

Any metadata-troubleshooting suggestions specifically for us LR CC users?

Do the edits you've made in PM show up in PM if you close and reopen PM and browse those images?

-Kirk

Offline Skoolie2001

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 02:31:01 PM »
The IPTC metadata I've added continues to show up in PM no matter how many times I close/restart the program. Ditto with adding stars to images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 02:34:28 PM »
The IPTC metadata I've added continues to show up in PM no matter how many times I close/restart the program. Ditto with adding stars to images.

If there's no way to force Lightroom CC to load metadata then I'm not sure how you could get it to update.  I suggest checking with Adobe on whether it is possible to make metadata changes outside of Lightroom CC and get it to read the changes.

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »
I'm currently using LR version 4.1 with PM and metadata comes right over. Don't know if it will help you, but here are my IPTC settings

Mick O
Camera Bits