Author Topic: Search query update  (Read 6289 times)

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Search query update
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 11:22:31 AM »
To add to the comments about SQL analyze timing, mine (on a 660,000 image catalogue after a reboot to make sure there were no stray processes running) took 1284 seconds (over 21 minutes) on a fast Windows 10 system with the catalogue and cache on a fast internal SSD.

That is an astonishingly long time.

I just ran another test, this time using a customer's 800K item catalog instead of my 1M item test catalog, and got analyze times of:
- 63 seconds (fast SSD)
- 134 seconds (external USB drive)

I'm not sure what would account for such a discrepancy between the timings on your system vs. mine.

Puzzling.

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 11:26:31 AM »
ALP-MacMini:~ adrian$ cd /Volumes/PS/PM_Catalogs/ALP
ALP-MacMini:ALP adrian$ time sqlite3 catalog.pmdb "pragma integrity_check"
ok

real   7m16.892s
user 3m25.443s
sys   0m58.508s
ALP-MacMini:ALP adrian$ time sqlite3 catalog.pmdb "analyze"

real   3m27.502s
user 0m55.285s
sys   0m28.521s

Thanks, Adrian. These timings seem pretty reasonable (and it's good to see the integrity check passes for your catalog database.)

If you return to Manage Catalogs in PM, and try the "Optimize SQL Query Planning" button again on that same catalog, does it still run for a very long time? Or does it now also complete in about 3.5 minutes?

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 04:28:52 PM »
Yep. 3.5 mins on the nose. 👍 So if I hit this situation again it seems that I just quit the app completely inc any lingering processes in the activity monitor app then all should be fine. No?

Offline Graham1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 01:35:42 AM »
To add to the comments about SQL analyze timing, mine (on a 660,000 image catalogue after a reboot to make sure there were no stray processes running) took 1284 seconds (over 21 minutes) on a fast Windows 10 system with the catalogue and cache on a fast internal SSD.

That is an astonishingly long time.

I just ran another test, this time using a customer's 800K item catalog instead of my 1M item test catalog, and got analyze times of:
- 63 seconds (fast SSD)
- 134 seconds (external USB drive)

I'm not sure what would account for such a discrepancy between the timings on your system vs. mine.

Puzzling.

Tried again this morning, again with nothing else running after a reboot.  It increased to 1378 seconds.  I attach a screen grab confirming this and my log in case this helps.

Graham