Author Topic: .cr2 raw format files much slower from 5d iv compared to 5d ii  (Read 1724 times)

Offline mike999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
.cr2 raw format files much slower from 5d iv compared to 5d ii
« on: February 28, 2021, 10:56:29 AM »
When using pm6 plus to add metadata to .cr2 files from 5d iv it is substantially slower than from .cr2 files from 5d ii. In both cases the files already have sidecars and both have embedded .jpg and everything else about them seems normal and are editable in batch by other programs. Obviously the 5d iv files are bigger but they are very much slower, have not timed it but perhaps 10x slower. This is very noticable when you have a large directory with a mixture of the two file types and asking PM6 plus to add the same bit of metadata e.g. the same keyword to both. It will rush through 100 of the 5d ii files almost instantly then grind through the 5d iv files at perhaps one a second (very much a guess not timed).

Is there something about the 5d iv files that make it difficult for pm6 to deal with or perhaps a setting that might be different with these that I could adjust.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: .cr2 raw format files much slower from 5d iv compared to 5d ii
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
Mike,

When using pm6 plus to add metadata to .cr2 files from 5d iv it is substantially slower than from .cr2 files from 5d ii. In both cases the files already have sidecars and both have embedded .jpg and everything else about them seems normal and are editable in batch by other programs. Obviously the 5d iv files are bigger but they are very much slower, have not timed it but perhaps 10x slower. This is very noticable when you have a large directory with a mixture of the two file types and asking PM6 plus to add the same bit of metadata e.g. the same keyword to both. It will rush through 100 of the 5d ii files almost instantly then grind through the 5d iv files at perhaps one a second (very much a guess not timed).

Is there something about the 5d iv files that make it difficult for pm6 to deal with or perhaps a setting that might be different with these that I could adjust.

I'm guessing here because you didn't provide a sample image: the 5DMkIV CR2 likely has XMP in the file and your IPTC/XMP preferences allow for RAW files to be modified.  Thus when you change metadata, the embedded XMP is updated and this takes a lot longer than just updating an XMP sidecar file.

-Kirk

Offline mike999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: .cr2 raw format files much slower from 5d iv compared to 5d ii
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 11:38:19 AM »
Thanks. That may explain another issue as well, when rating 5d iv images in another program the ratings did not carry over to PM even though they were readable by photoshop, tried various ways to update the metadata in PM6 plus. The only way I was able to get PM to recognise the ratings was to reimport the images.

I am tempted to ask whether it is worth setting IPTC/XMP preferences allow for RAW files to be modified or not, presumably this has plusses and minuses, will try to find it in the help section.