Author Topic: Deleted photos disappear and do not show up in the trash.  (Read 4981 times)

Offline RCPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Deleted photos disappear and do not show up in the trash.
« on: March 07, 2021, 02:22:18 PM »
Hi

Long time user, I deleted a photo and when I wanted to recover it, it was not in the trash! Where did it go? It has happened a number of times.

This is new. Using Mac Version on Mac OS 10.14.6. Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 5560 (6e1b8a6)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Deleted photos disappear and do not show up in the trash.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 03:50:38 PM »
Long time user, I deleted a photo and when I wanted to recover it, it was not in the trash! Where did it go? It has happened a number of times.

This is new. Using Mac Version on Mac OS 10.14.6. Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 5560 (6e1b8a6)

Where were the files originally located?  If it is on a network drive, the files will be permanently deleted.  The confirmation dialog will warn of this.

-Kirk

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 11:37:46 PM »
Hello,

I don't know if it's the same problem, but I'm obliged, regularly to "Force Quit" the Finder to relaunch it and see the photos thrown in the trash via PM, otherwise the trash can seems empty...

;)
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline RCPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 10:15:17 AM »

Where were the files originally located?  If it is on a network drive, the files will be permanently deleted.  The confirmation dialog will warn of this.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk:

This is an attached external drive and there is no dialog when deleting using PM. This is something new in the most recent version. Never happened before a month or so ago.

Offline RCPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 10:39:35 AM »
Okay I can confirm that when deleting files from internal, they go to the trash when you delete them when the box is checked to move to trash. Deleting files on external gives you the same dialog but instead it deletes them from the external drive. Gone! I do not view an external attached drive as a remote drive. I did not notice the change in the dialog, but "why" is this now the normal? This is an external, not a network drive. No recovery for images that were deleted?  Can there be an option to treat external attached drives differently than networked drives?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 10:55:20 AM »
Okay I can confirm that when deleting files from internal, they go to the trash when you delete them when the box is checked to move to trash. Deleting files on external gives you the same dialog but instead it deletes them from the external drive. Gone! I do not view an external attached drive as a remote drive. I did not notice the change in the dialog, but "why" is this now the normal? This is an external, not a network drive. No recovery for images that were deleted?  Can there be an option to treat external attached drives differently than networked drives?

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline RCPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 11:00:44 AM »
Here is my log. BTW running iMac 27" 5k Late 2015 4ghz Intel Core i7 and 32 gigs ram.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 01:39:16 PM »
Here is my log. BTW running iMac 27" 5k Late 2015 4ghz Intel Core i7 and 32 gigs ram.

Thanks.  I see no errors related to moving files to the trash.  What format (filesystem) is the external disk that you mentioned that deletes files instead of moving them to the trash?

-Kirk

Offline RCPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 02:19:55 PM »
Thanks. Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Interestingly, photos are now showing up in the trash from last month! Must be on OS issue. Will restart to see if that fixes the problem.

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 08:37:37 AM »
At home, I had forgotten to check this option...  ???
It works now...

;)
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 05:55:08 AM »
Oups, sorry, it works on my internal SSD but not with my external SSD in Thunderbolt II...
I need to "Restart Finder" to get the pictures to appear in the trash.
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2023, 05:26:18 PM »
Hi,

the same problem occurs now with me, 2 years later. Newest PM on macOS Monterey. Direct attached Ssd. Never happened like this before.

-John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2023, 05:35:29 PM »
John,

the same problem occurs now with me, 2 years later. Newest PM on macOS Monterey. Direct attached Ssd. Never happened like this before.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2023, 12:47:37 AM »
Thanks for quick reply. I attach the log file.

-John

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2023, 03:28:38 AM »
in contrary to User DUB my system security site looks like this: see Attachment