Author Topic: SLOW ingest  (Read 355 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
SLOW ingest
« on: December 11, 2023, 07:21:34 AM »
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone has some insight for me on this.  I noticed that my ingesting seemed slow so I purchased a new wiz-bang Thunderbolt3 reader.  Image my surprise when it was barely a minute faster than my USB reader. So today I tested a CF Express card with the new reader under more controlled settings and this is what I found.  Hardware is a Dell XPS 13 9320 with the most current update of Windows 11, PM6 most resent build, Prograde Gold 1700Mb/s card with 5000 jpgs from a D6 and a Atlas FXR reader using a Thunderbolt 4 cable as supplied.

Windows drag and drop from the card to an empty folder 1:15
PM6 Ingest with no rename or IPTC being written 8:42
PM6 with metadata and renaming 12:05

For chuckles and grins I had PM6 rename the 5000 files and that took 6.8 seconds... updating the IPTC took 2:36 so even if I did those two steps AFTER doing a simple drag and drop I am still orders of magnitude faster than a PM6 ingest.  So thoughts on what may be taking all that time? 11 minutes is a LONG time when you are watching everyone else file images and you're stuck ingesting.

Offline Vangellis.19

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: SLOW ingest
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 01:23:49 AM »
I have been experiencing the same issue. Where an SD card takes upwards of 2 hours to import 50Gb of data.

I am now considering removing PM6 from my workflow.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: SLOW ingest
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 09:18:49 AM »
I have been experiencing the same issue. Where an SD card takes upwards of 2 hours to import 50Gb of data.

I am now considering removing PM6 from my workflow.

Performance issues stem from a wide variety of sources. Perhaps you can you provide us with some details of the troubleshooting that you have done so far so that we can know more about the issue and not cover ground that you have already covered?