Author Topic: PhotoMechanic freezes when used through VPN #remoteworking  (Read 1512 times)

Offline ilvynjio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PhotoMechanic freezes when used through VPN #remoteworking
« on: March 09, 2021, 02:11:56 PM »
Hi,

Hereby first of all the build number of PM I am using:
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3954 (158b808)

My co-worker is keywording thousands of images from her home, while I am in my office. She connects to the images and folders from my Synology server.

My IT person created a VPN, but my co-worker keeps getting the coloured beach ball on her Mac when she opens folders and tries to put in keywords.

She cannot open a folder through the VPN connection properly in Photo Mechanic. And even if she manages to open one of the smaller folders, once she switches between Photo Mechanic and Google Chrome (where she gets her keywords), it gets stuck again.

Are there any settings we can change in the preview or cache to make this go more smoothly? Any advice is welcome, she is trying to start again tomorrow morning. So far during this week she has not been able to,  we tried everything and switched between different VPN clients,  but all of them have the same issue.

So if there is a way to use PM through VPN that would be great. 
My folders in general consists of about 1000-3000 raw images, CR2 images, and a few jpgs. It is the jpgs that she will be making keywords for, but as far as I know there is no way to ‘only open up the jpgs’?

When she opens a folder, of course the 1000’s of raw CR2 files are also uploading right? Which I think is too much for the VPN to handle? The mac keeps freezing up, which it does not do when she works on the local network in the office. 

Any advice is welcome!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PhotoMechanic freezes when used through VPN #remoteworking
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 03:56:39 PM »
Hereby first of all the build number of PM I am using:
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3954 (158b808)

Your build is very old.  Please do update.  Updates are free.

You can always find the latest builds here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?board=15.0

Or you can check for updates from the Help menu in Photo Mechanic (Help->Software Update...)

My co-worker is keywording thousands of images from her home, while I am in my office. She connects to the images and folders from my Synology server.

My IT person created a VPN, but my co-worker keeps getting the coloured beach ball on her Mac when she opens folders and tries to put in keywords.

She cannot open a folder through the VPN connection properly in Photo Mechanic. And even if she manages to open one of the smaller folders, once she switches between Photo Mechanic and Google Chrome (where she gets her keywords), it gets stuck again.

Are there any settings we can change in the preview or cache to make this go more smoothly? Any advice is welcome, she is trying to start again tomorrow morning. So far during this week she has not been able to,  we tried everything and switched between different VPN clients,  but all of them have the same issue.

So if there is a way to use PM through VPN that would be great. 
My folders in general consists of about 1000-3000 raw images, CR2 images, and a few jpgs. It is the jpgs that she will be making keywords for, but as far as I know there is no way to ‘only open up the jpgs’?

When she opens a folder, of course the 1000’s of raw CR2 files are also uploading right? Which I think is too much for the VPN to handle? The mac keeps freezing up, which it does not do when she works on the local network in the office.

There are no settings that are going to make Photo Mechanic improve its performance over an extremely slow connection.  Especially one that is talking to a server.  Even a local NAS is slow with Photo Mechanic.  Having it across the Internet via VPN will only make it worse.

I don't have a solution for you other than to copy the folder to the local computer, make the changes locally, and then copy the files back to the server.

-Kirk