Author Topic: Naming JPG and RAW with same filenamebase and sequence  (Read 3164 times)

Offline jeremyrh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Naming JPG and RAW with same filenamebase and sequence
« on: March 10, 2021, 10:26:48 AM »
I wonder if it is possible to rename during ingest such that the RAW file and companion JPG file have the same name except for the extension, i.e. myname_001.RAW and myname_001.JPG  ??

When I try it I get myname_001.RAW and myname_002.JPG

Or is there a disadvantage to doing this in any case?

Thanks for any tips !!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Naming JPG and RAW with same filenamebase and sequence
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 10:38:35 AM »
I wonder if it is possible to rename during ingest such that the RAW file and companion JPG file have the same name except for the extension, i.e. myname_001.RAW and myname_001.JPG  ??

Yes, definitely.

When I try it I get myname_001.RAW and myname_002.JPG

I'd like to see your Ingest settings.  Please take a screenshot and post it in your reply.

Or is there a disadvantage to doing this in any case?

No, not at all, it's very common practice.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jeremyrh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 10:54:41 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply!

My ingest dialogue is attached (I hope!!)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 11:20:59 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply!

My ingest dialogue is attached (I hope!!)

I see that you're Ingesting from a selection.  Do you have the RAW and JPEG images paired?  See the View menu and make sure the "Combined Images" menu item has a check mark on it.  If it does not have a check mark, select that menu item to combine your RAW and JPEG images together.

When they're paired, they're treated as a single item for the purposes of renaming, copying, deleting, updating metadata, rating, tagging, etc.

When they're not paired they're treated as separate unrelated items.

-Kirk

Offline jeremyrh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 11:29:07 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

So, I went back and ingested a card, and it behaves as expected, with RAW and JPG having the same sequence number. That's good news, but it's odd that when I try to ingest files from a folder the JPG and RAW files have got separated somehow. 

I'm wondering what is it that "links" a JPG and a RAW file - is it that they haev identical capture times? Or is there something more profound?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 12:12:52 PM »
So, I went back and ingested a card, and it behaves as expected, with RAW and JPG having the same sequence number. That's good news, but it's odd that when I try to ingest files from a folder the JPG and RAW files have got separated somehow.

I'm wondering what is it that "links" a JPG and a RAW file - is it that they haev identical capture times? Or is there something more profound?

It's purely filename based.  If they have the same name (the base name, not counting the extension) then they're paired.  If the base names don't match then they won't be paired.

Your earlier renaming problem will have to be corrected.  You sort by {type} and the RAW files will group together and the JPEG files will group together.  Select the RAW files and rename them (remember to reset your sequence).  Then select the JPEGs and rename them (reset the sequence).  They should join up fine once they have the same base name.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jeremyrh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 12:27:50 PM »
Brilliant - many thanks for your patient help !!