Author Topic: Can I ingest a sub-set of all images on a camera card?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline LateJunction

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can I ingest a sub-set of all images on a camera card?
« on: March 14, 2021, 03:38:48 PM »
I'm ingesting from an SD card with the 'Copy Photos' option set to 'into folder with name' and the name set to {iptcdate}. The ingested photo rename option is set to '{year2}{month0}{day}_<some text>_{frame}', where the <some text> is set to give a general indication of the image content or theme.

This configuration works but has a very clear disadvantage: since I can find no way of selecting a sub-set photos on the SD card  for ingestion (which I can readily do in other applications such as Rapid Photo Downloader), then all images get renamed with the same textual content, even though there might be completely unconnected image themes on the SD card.

How can I avoid this problem, which is a show stopper for me right now?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can I ingest a sub-set of all images on a camera card?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 05:58:08 PM »
I'm ingesting from an SD card with the 'Copy Photos' option set to 'into folder with name' and the name set to {iptcdate}. The ingested photo rename option is set to '{year2}{month0}{day}_<some text>_{frame}', where the <some text> is set to give a general indication of the image content or theme.

This configuration works but has a very clear disadvantage: since I can find no way of selecting a sub-set photos on the SD card  for ingestion (which I can readily do in other applications such as Rapid Photo Downloader), then all images get renamed with the same textual content, even though there might be completely unconnected image themes on the SD card.

How can I avoid this problem, which is a show stopper for me right now?

Use Ingest from Selection.  First browse the folder on the SD card.  Select the images you want to Ingest.  Use the "Ingest from Selection..." command on the File menu.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000341501-how-to-use-ingest-from-selection

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline LateJunction

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 01:54:34 AM »
Thanks for the very quick reply. I realise that I failed to copy the first line of my post from the the text editor where I was preparing it; the first line said 'PhotoMechanic 5:'

Sadly, this version does not have 'Ingest from selection', does it ?

<Edit>
Apologies for asking the question in the first place: I now see that this topic was covered extensively in the forum 11 years ago - I'm just a bit slow in catching up!

I also see there is a work-around using locked images and have now discovered that, rather than setting the lock on an image in the camera, it is much quicker to browse the SD card (in, say, Windows explorer), select the images for the 'first' theme and set their file properties to 'read only' in one go, go to PM and ingest - choosing 'locked-only' images to ingest, complete the 'first' ingestion task, return to Windows Explorer and reset the locked images to clear the 'read only' flag in file properties, then set that flag on the images for the 'next' theme and repeat the ingestion cycle as many times as necessary.

A bit unwieldy, but it works exactly as expected.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 03:25:52 AM by LateJunction »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 09:01:59 AM »
Thanks for the very quick reply. I realise that I failed to copy the first line of my post from the the text editor where I was preparing it; the first line said 'PhotoMechanic 5:'

Sadly, this version does not have 'Ingest from selection', does it ?

<Edit>
Apologies for asking the question in the first place: I now see that this topic was covered extensively in the forum 11 years ago - I'm just a bit slow in catching up!

I also see there is a work-around using locked images and have now discovered that, rather than setting the lock on an image in the camera, it is much quicker to browse the SD card (in, say, Windows explorer), select the images for the 'first' theme and set their file properties to 'read only' in one go, go to PM and ingest - choosing 'locked-only' images to ingest, complete the 'first' ingestion task, return to Windows Explorer and reset the locked images to clear the 'read only' flag in file properties, then set that flag on the images for the 'next' theme and repeat the ingestion cycle as many times as necessary.

A bit unwieldy, but it works exactly as expected.

You could always use the Copy Photos dialog.  The only major differences between it and Ingest are the secondary destination capability and the ability to choose to copy RAW files only.  Then you won't have to modify any data on your card prior to downloading.

-Kirk