Author Topic: Keywords added to a Snapshot list are not added to the Master list  (Read 3056 times)

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
Hi,

Is there a way to have keywords that are added to a Snapshot list also, at the same time, be added to the Master list.

Karl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keywords added to a Snapshot list are not added to the Master list
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 01:21:31 PM »
Karl,

Is there a way to have keywords that are added to a Snapshot list also, at the same time, be added to the Master list.

Do you mean when saving a snapshot?

-Kirk

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 01:39:22 PM »
Yes, that would be good, but that does not seem to happen now. Is there a way to merge the snapshot and the master?

Karl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 01:58:04 PM »
Karl,

Quote from: kbaker
Do you mean when saving a snapshot?

Yes, that would be good, but that does not seem to happen now. Is there a way to merge the snapshot and the master?

A snapshot from the master keywords list is either the entire list, or the selected items in the list.  There would be no point in making those items get added to the master keywords list because they already exist there.

There is currently no way to load a snapshot and have it add to the master instead of replacing it.

Can you tell me more about what it is that you're trying to accomplish?

-Kirk

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 02:43:41 PM »
I am in the process of adding keywords to all my pictures. I have just started and I add keywords to the Master list as needed along the way. The Master list is now quite long and to make it easier to find keywords I thought it would help to divide the Master list into Snapshots. I did, and it is now easier to find the right keyword.

However, as I go along I need to add new keywords, and those keywords I add to the Snapshot list I am using for the moment. It would be nice if, when saving the Snapshot, the new keywords would also be saved to the Master list. I could then use the new keywords also in other snapshots.

Karl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
Karl,

I am in the process of adding keywords to all my pictures. I have just started and I add keywords to the Master list as needed along the way. The Master list is now quite long and to make it easier to find keywords I thought it would help to divide the Master list into Snapshots. I did, and it is now easier to find the right keyword.

However, as I go along I need to add new keywords, and those keywords I add to the Snapshot list I am using for the moment. It would be nice if, when saving the Snapshot, the new keywords would also be saved to the Master list. I could then use the new keywords also in other snapshots.

It's this last part that does not make sense: the keywords listed in the Keywords panel is the current state of the master keywords list.  Everything you see in that list at that time is the master keywords list.

-Kirk

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 03:56:45 PM »
Attachment "Keywords Panel, Master.jpg" shows my Master list. From that list I create a "Snapshot from selected". For instance Snapshot USA, see attachment "Keywords Panel, Snapshot USA.jpg". When I want to use the Master list again I click "Load Master", and the master list is loaded again, but it does not contain the new keywords that I may have added to a Snapshot. It would be nice if I could add keywords to the Master list also via Snapshots.

Karl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 04:38:42 PM »
Karl,

Attachment "Keywords Panel, Master.jpg" shows my Master list. From that list I create a "Snapshot from selected". For instance Snapshot USA, see attachment "Keywords Panel, Snapshot USA.jpg". When I want to use the Master list again I click "Load Master", and the master list is loaded again, but it does not contain the new keywords that I may have added to a Snapshot. It would be nice if I could add keywords to the Master list also via Snapshots.

I could see making the "Modifier Key" alter the function and label of the "Save to Master" button and make it "Add to Master".  Simply making a snapshot or loading a snapshot shouldn't permanently modify the master keywords list.

-Kirk

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 07:50:18 AM »
May I suggest that when the Master is loaded the buttons stay as they are, and when a Snapshot is loaded the function of the "Save Master" button changes to "Merge with Master"?

Karl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 08:07:29 AM »
Karl,

May I suggest that when the Master is loaded the buttons stay as they are, and when a Snapshot is loaded the function of the "Save Master" button changes to "Merge with Master"?

Sounds good to me.  The Modifier Key (Shift on Windows, Option on macOS) could change it to "Overwrite Master" and it could have a message box to verify the full replacement of the master keywords list.

-Kirk

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 08:54:00 AM »
That would do it. Thanks!