Author Topic: Unreadable file format (????) further to previous post  (Read 2877 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Unreadable file format (????) further to previous post
« on: March 21, 2021, 08:18:36 AM »
I am also having an unreadable file format issue, and may be able to add something to the post from Graham1.

I have been running a Lightroom and a Capture one catalogue in parallel for several years, but abandoned the C1 catalogues recently.

I have already had some issues when changing metadata in Lightroom, I raised this here before, and a few days ago I created a new C1 catalogue (with read and write XMP enabled).

I changed my mind and deleted the C1 catalogue and then ran a full sync in PMPlus. Of my 26,000 files, 24,000 are now considered unreadable in the catalogue. You can still read them in the PM browser if you navigate to the original folder from inside PM and open them into a contact sheet view.

I'm not entirely sure what C1 has done to the XMP file, I wouldn't have thought it would have done anything but all the XMP files are now dated the 16th March 2021. And there is obviously some mismatch in the XMP data with the PMPlus catalogue that is causing PMPlus  to think the raws are unreadable.

I have attached an example XMP from a raw file the catalogue now thinks is an unreadable file format.

I meant to add, that I'm on a Mac, and the number of metadata changes reported by the Full sync dialog matches the number of Unreadable files.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unreadable file format (????) further to previous post
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 10:04:49 AM »
Graham,

I am also having an unreadable file format issue, and may be able to add something to the post from Graham1.

What build of Photo Mechanic Plus are you using on your Mac?

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 10:16:21 AM »

5560 (6e1b8a6)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 10:47:06 AM »
Graham,

5560 (6e1b8a6)

Please try this build: https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR5671_3d0c5698.dmg

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 01:17:44 AM »

Please try this build: https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR5671_3d0c5698.dmg

Unfortunately, I had deleted the original database and built a new one (which fixed the problem).

However, I recovered the deleted database and regenerated it with this dev version and there are no unreadable files. But not sure if this because of the updated version or something to do with the regeneration process.

I could create a small C1 catalogue and see if the problem has gone away if you feel the regeneration process, rather than the updated version, might be responsible for the fix.

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 09:05:39 AM »
Graham,

Unfortunately, I had deleted the original database and built a new one (which fixed the problem).

However, I recovered the deleted database and regenerated it with this dev version and there are no unreadable files. But not sure if this because of the updated version or something to do with the regeneration process.

I could create a small C1 catalogue and see if the problem has gone away if you feel the regeneration process, rather than the updated version, might be responsible for the fix.

We're certain that the problem is fixed but more data points are always welcome.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 09:47:58 AM »

We're certain that the problem is fixed but more data points are always welcome.

Thanks Kirk, 

If I can find the time, I will give it a try, but I'm in the middle of a major reorganisation of my files, and as you feel confident, it's fixed I won't push it to the top of the priorities.

However, it may yet crop up by accident as I work my way through the changes I'm making.

Cheers,

Graham