Author Topic: Email Attachment sizes  (Read 5832 times)

Offline antpix

• View Profile
Email Attachment sizes
« on: April 25, 2007, 05:16:37 AM »
Kirk

I'm getting very strange behavior from the email feature.

I'm sending the same set of 7 images to about 8 different email address, the email text is different for each set of images, so I'm having to create lots of single emails. So highlight all seven images, Apple Shift E and set to Full size (don't resize dimensions) croma subsampling on, Jpeg all the way to the right, however the resulting file sizes that it gives me are at least twice what the operating system tells me they are. The emails attachments produced once in the email client are a LOT larger than the normal sized attachment if attached through the email system itself. I've tried quitting PM to empty the cache but to no avail.

This doesn't happen with FTP, and I thought that you had implemented the same process for 'copying' before transmission for each feature a while ago.

Any ideas.

PBP 15 Dual Core, OSX 10.4.9 PM 4.4.3,3

Thanks

Ant

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Email Attachment sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 06:28:12 AM »
Ant,

I'm sending the same set of 7 images to about 8 different email address, the email text is different for each set of images, so I'm having to create lots of single emails. So highlight all seven images, Apple Shift E and set to Full size (don't resize dimensions) croma subsampling on, Jpeg all the way to the right, however the resulting file sizes that it gives me are at least twice what the operating system tells me they are.

What files are you comparing the size of?  Where are you doing this in the OS? (what path?)

The emails attachments produced once in the email client are a LOT larger than the normal sized attachment if attached through the email system itself. I've tried quitting PM to empty the cache but to no avail.

This doesn't happen with FTP, and I thought that you had implemented the same process for 'copying' before transmission for each feature a while ago.

It copies if no changes are being made.  It generates new images if changes are being made.  But yes, in the cache folder are the images that will be attached to your emails.  It is entirely possible that setting the JPEG quality all the way to the right and even turning on chrominance sub-sampling will produce a JPEG whose size is larger than the original.  At quality 10 that is our near-lossless compression.  Try 7 or 8 instead.  Or if you want to send the original without re-compressing, leave it at 10 and turn off chrominance sub-sampling.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline antpix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 07:05:13 AM »
Kirk

thanks for the quick reply.

The files as shown in the folder when showing the OS file info (Apple I) - I've got a file which is 1.3 mb, highlight a file in a PM contact sheet, Apple Shift E, as before no resize, jpeg slider to the right sub sampling off file size - 5.53mb, sub sampling on - 3.83mb.

However after the restart the files in Entourage are normal sized but if PM has been running for a while, opening lots contact sheets, colour classing images and saving to other folders etc. The resulting attachments are in the 1.9 t to 2mb.

Don't know if there is a leak in the cache or something like that??

HTH with sorting this out.

Ant

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 07:16:52 AM »
Ant,

The files as shown in the folder when showing the OS file info (Apple I) - I've got a file which is 1.3 mb, highlight a file in a PM contact sheet, Apple Shift E, as before no resize, jpeg slider to the right sub sampling off file size - 5.53mb, sub sampling on - 3.83mb.

What folder are we talking about?  What is the path?

-Kirk

Offline antpix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 07:39:50 AM »
Sorry you did ask that

The path would be Laptop HD, Users/my account/Pictures/20070423/sent, all folders on one hard drive

HTH

Ant