Author Topic: Corrupted thumbnails in PM6+ build 5716  (Read 2276 times)

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
Corrupted thumbnails in PM6+ build 5716
« on: March 27, 2021, 04:56:28 AM »
Ingesting files in PM6+ from my Olympus OMD-EM1 render a thumbnail in Finder with the DxO PL logo instead of a picture. The thumbnail on the Sd card is ok. Ingesting from other brand cameras is ok.

Reloaded PM6 build 5529, and the thumbnails from my Olympus are ingested correctly. A bug in the 5716 build?

Included a screenshot of Finder. The second file is moved directly from the SD card.
MacOS 10.15.7 PM6/PM6+ b.5716

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Corrupted thumbnails in PM6+ build 5716
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 08:14:40 AM »
Lars,

Yes, there was a critical bug in build 5716.  It has been pulled and is no longer available.

Anyone who has the 5716 build is encouraged to go back to build 5560 which is now the current build when checking for updates and is available from the downloads page on our website or you can get any previous build from the Announcements board on this forum.

https://home.camerabits.com/downloads/
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?board=15.0

Damaged files can be repaired by installing the 5560 build, selecting the damaged images, and then using the "Revert TIFF-based RAW to Original" command on the Tools menu.

-Kirk

Offline ZlatkoB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ZlatkoBatistich.com
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 01:15:36 PM »
Yesterday I found that hundreds of my Sony A73 raw files were corrupted and unreadable. In the past day, I tried various things to determine the cause and fix the problem. Today I discovered that assigning a color label to the photos in Photo Mechanic is what corrupted them. This had never happened in my many years of assigning color labels in Photo Mechanic, probably since 2007, so it was about the last thing I expected. Fortunately I found this thread and tried the solution. I went back to build 5560 and did the Revert thing, and it worked.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »
Yesterday I found that hundreds of my Sony A73 raw files were corrupted and unreadable. In the past day, I tried various things to determine the cause and fix the problem. Today I discovered that assigning a color label to the photos in Photo Mechanic is what corrupted them. This had never happened in my many years of assigning color labels in Photo Mechanic, probably since 2007, so it was about the last thing I expected. Fortunately I found this thread and tried the solution. I went back to build 5560 and did the Revert thing, and it worked.

That's good to hear that your images have been corrected.  We're sorry for the inconvenience.

-Kirk

Offline dmdeckbar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 10:57:16 AM »
Hi Kirk,

same problem happend to me. I am imported and renamed DNG from a Ricoh GR3.
These files could not be imported into Lightroom Classic.

Went back to5560 ( all with PM + ) an did the Revert Tiff based RAW to Original but this is not working with DNG.
The action goes really quick and Lightroom Classic could still not import the DNG.

Any other program to get my Ricoh DNG working again ???

The DNG Files of my Leica Q2 are not having any problem.

Best Dirk 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 11:31:01 AM »
Dirk,

same problem happend to me. I am imported and renamed DNG from a Ricoh GR3.
These files could not be imported into Lightroom Classic.

Went back to5560 ( all with PM + ) an did the Revert Tiff based RAW to Original but this is not working with DNG.
The action goes really quick and Lightroom Classic could still not import the DNG.

Can you share one of your images so that we can investigate?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dmdeckbar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 11:37:21 AM »
Of course ! Maybe I give one DNG that ist not possible to open with LR and one from the card. What way should I use to transfer the files

Best Dirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 12:15:25 PM »
Dirk,

Of course ! Maybe I give one DNG that ist not possible to open with LR and one from the card. What way should I use to transfer the files

You can either upload them somewhere and provide me with a download link, or contact me privately for our FTP server info.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 12:17:03 PM »
On 5560 the Revert command doesn't work with DNG even though they are technically "TIFF-based RAW".  But DNG is not a proprietary RAW like CR2, NEF, ARW, ORF etc.  We are changing PM to allow Revert on DNG, but rather than backup the XMP to a sidecar (which is not recommended for DNG), we re-embed the XMP.

However, if you go back to 5560 and simply do something like tag/untag then hopefully this will fix the DNG.  It will "internally" do a revert then re-apply XMP as needed.

If this does not work we definitely need a sample that is broken (and if you have the "before" that might help).

We apologize for this bug but for the most part it is fixable in 5560.

--dennis

Offline dmdeckbar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 03:22:41 PM »
Success !!! I gave all Ricoh DNG a color with one and then remove the color with 0
Then Revert Tiff based Raw and voila Lightroom could read the DNG.

Thank you

Best from Berlin DIRK