Author Topic: Catalog Thumbnail Very Slow to Populate  (Read 5976 times)

Offline mo_shaw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Catalog Thumbnail Very Slow to Populate
« on: March 29, 2021, 07:41:20 AM »
I recently purchased PM+ for the catalog feature in the hope of transitioning away from my current DAM but unfortunately I'm finding it to be very sluggish. When browsing through file structures, the thumbnails take a take very long time to populate. For example, a folder containing 2,000 can take upwards of 5 minutes to populate all the thumbnails.

I started off with scanning all photos (~50K) into a single catalog but thinking that the catalog might too bloated, I split the photos over 20 catalogs with all having proxy images stored on the local drive but that made no difference. I've run the "Optimise SQL Query Planning" and still no difference.

I'm running it on a M1 Mac Mini, MacOS Big Sir, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD. Photos are located on an external drive but like I said, I have proxy images stored on the local drive so I would have expected that the programme use those to populate the thumbnails. What am I doing wrong because surely a DAM this sluggish would not acceptable for release?

I would appreciate any other suggestion to try before I give up on using it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Catalog Thumbnail Very Slow to Populate
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 08:58:37 AM »
I recently purchased PM+ for the catalog feature in the hope of transitioning away from my current DAM but unfortunately I'm finding it to be very sluggish. When browsing through file structures, the thumbnails take a take very long time to populate. For example, a folder containing 2,000 can take upwards of 5 minutes to populate all the thumbnails.

I started off with scanning all photos (~50K) into a single catalog but thinking that the catalog might too bloated, I split the photos over 20 catalogs with all having proxy images stored on the local drive but that made no difference. I've run the "Optimise SQL Query Planning" and still no difference.

I'm running it on a M1 Mac Mini, MacOS Big Sir, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD. Photos are located on an external drive but like I said, I have proxy images stored on the local drive so I would have expected that the programme use those to populate the thumbnails. What am I doing wrong because surely a DAM this sluggish would not acceptable for release?

What kind of photos are you working with?

-Kirk

Offline mo_shaw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 04:35:04 PM »
JPG, NEF and ARW

Offline mo_shaw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 06:09:28 PM »
I think I know what the problem is but not sure how to fix it. The software goes to the external drive for the the thumbnail instead of using the proxy images in the local drive.

Any idea as to how I can force it to look in the local folder that it created during the scanning? Kind of pointless having proxy images if it insist on going to where the original photos are saved.

Offline mo_shaw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 11:12:32 PM »
Further to my last comment. It seems that if I disconnect my external hard, PM+ will use the proxy images stored on the local drive and the thumbnails appear instantly. However, as soon as I plug the external drive, the screen refreshes and it reverts back to using the original photos on the external drive.

Hopefully that helps with coming up with a fix.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 09:02:55 AM »
Further to my last comment. It seems that if I disconnect my external hard, PM+ will use the proxy images stored on the local drive and the thumbnails appear instantly. However, as soon as I plug the external drive, the screen refreshes and it reverts back to using the original photos on the external drive.

Hopefully that helps with coming up with a fix.

We will be adding a preference to allow users to choose to use proxies even when the original photos are available.

-Kirk

Offline mo_shaw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 02:40:16 AM »
Thanks Kirk. That will certainly fix it. Any idea on when we can expect the update? The way it is now, it's not useable.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 09:09:41 AM »
Thanks Kirk. That will certainly fix it. Any idea on when we can expect the update? The way it is now, it's not useable.

It will likely be more than a month before we can implement the feature.

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 12:08:35 PM »

-Kirk

Kirk, any timeline for using proxies with online images?

Best regards
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 12:57:26 PM »
Michael,

I don't have an updated timeline for you.  Still more than a month out.

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 01:40:12 AM »
Michael,

-Kirk

Well, for me, one of the major points of using a DAM is speeding up viewing large TIFF files on slow spinning media. The speed promise is the main selling point of PM+. Lightroom performs significantly faster in this respect, and Media Pro did as well.

I hope you guys will find time and opportunity to implement this feature sooner rather than later.

/Michael

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 12:02:43 PM »
Michael,

-Kirk

Kirk, any updates?

/Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 01:52:46 PM »
Michael,

Kirk, any updates?

No.  I have nothing new to report.

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 11:11:01 PM »
Michael,

Kirk, any updates?

-Kirk

Thats a shame. Are there any plans, effort or interest in implementing this feature in the foreseeable future? I'm asking since the rereading of TIFF files blocks the app (spinning beachball), making it a pain in the ... to use, so much so that I've reverted to use Lightroom instead.

/Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2022, 09:19:47 AM »
Michael,

Kirk, any updates?

Thats a shame. Are there any plans, effort or interest in implementing this feature in the foreseeable future? I'm asking since the rereading of TIFF files blocks the app (spinning beachball), making it a pain in the ... to use, so much so that I've reverted to use Lightroom instead.

It's in our tracking system, it's in the implementation queue, but it isn't as high priority as other issues.

-Kirk