Author Topic: dyn.#.log files taking over boot drive  (Read 1470 times)

Offline cdwiler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
dyn.#.log files taking over boot drive
« on: April 04, 2021, 11:27:22 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic Plus version 6.0, build 5560 on Windows 10x64. In the last month or so I have noticed the available space on my SSD boot drive C decreasing rapidly, and when I finally checked what was using the space I found the dyn.#.log files (where # = 1  to 9) occupying almost 500GB, or 50% of the size of the drive. This can't be right - can they be deleted, and what causes them to keep increasing? One file alone, dyn.1.log  is 199 GB.

A parallel question is whether Photo Mechanic needs to be on the fastest drive. I have assumed it should be, but this is the most expensive real estate. I already have the catalog on another drive, which is also an SSD, but I don't recall if I was even given a choice where to put the main PM program.

I found another topic that touches on deleting one of these files, but I am trying to address this in a more general sense.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: dyn.#.log files taking over boot drive
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 06:12:40 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic Plus version 6.0, build 5560 on Windows 10x64. In the last month or so I have noticed the available space on my SSD boot drive C decreasing rapidly, and when I finally checked what was using the space I found the dyn.#.log files (where # = 1  to 9) occupying almost 500GB, or 50% of the size of the drive. This can't be right - can they be deleted, and what causes them to keep increasing? One file alone, dyn.1.log  is 199 GB.

Yes, you can delete those log files.  But before you delete them, I'd like to see them.  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

A parallel question is whether Photo Mechanic needs to be on the fastest drive. I have assumed it should be, but this is the most expensive real estate. I already have the catalog on another drive, which is also an SSD, but I don't recall if I was even given a choice where to put the main PM program.

The location of the application is not very sensitive, though the application itself is not very large.  More important is that the catalog be stored on a fast local drive.  The faster, the better.

-Kirk

Offline cdwiler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 10:54:32 AM »
OK, I will delete those files, but when responding to your request for copies of the offending files, I looked more closely at the information I had and found they were actually generated back in January by the original Photo Mechanic before I updated to the Plus version, and there have been no new ones since (but of course the old ones continue to take up half the available disk space on the fast boot drive). I assume these log files are generated when there is some form of system disruption, and since the middle of last year I have been experiencing occasional system freezes. Keeping track of what I had running when Windows froze, I have always had one or both of Photo Mechanic (both original or Plus) and Lotus Notes open. Lotus Notes is an old program, from about 15 years ago, and I suspect this is the culprit. Unfortunately, IBM purchased the Lotus operations and has shown no interest in updating what used to be world-class software.

Now, as for the zip file, I opened the basic PM program and followed your instructions. After about 10 minutes it returned an error message saying it could not generate the file. Trying a standard zip program on the 1st file, it also returns an error message stating the .log file is too large, so I suppose we are at a dead end here.

Thanks for your help. I'll just delete the .log files and proceed with my work.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:44:35 AM »
Thanks for your help. I'll just delete the .log files and proceed with my work.

OK, sounds good.

-Kirk