Author Topic: Problem with CameraRaw.  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
Problem with CameraRaw.
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:42:00 PM »
Hello Kirk,

Problem with CameraRaw.
(Problem with PM6+ 5574 and 5560)
As soon as I make a modification on a NEF or CR2 file the two fields "Profile" and "Process" (see screenshot below) are reset to zero.
Procedure:
-Open the NEF with cameraRaw (13.2 in my case)
-Switch to the current Process (Process 5)
-Change the profile
-Click on "Finish"
-Modify an IPTC field in PM6+
-Open the photo again in CameraRaw, both fields are back to their default value

Attached: CameraRaw screenshot, PM6+ preferences screenshot, WeTransfer link with an example photo+xmp.

https://we.tl/t-uaXPTDuWyy

This happens with old photos, already edited with old CameraRaw "Processes".
If I remove all metadata from the photo and edit it first with CameraRaw everything is fine.

If I modify the "Preferences" of PM6+ by modifying only the XMP (no writing of IPTC/XMP in the original RAW), the problem disappears...

;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:59:11 PM by Dub »
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline sparthrolf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with CameraRaw.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 05:08:24 AM »
Hi all,

I may have a related problem:

I am using the latest Capture One 21pro Windows version. I had a peculiar effect since quite a while ago: sometimes I am unable to import certain Nikon-NEF-files while other NEFs slot in like a breeze. I had no clue what the difference between the importable and unimportable files were.

Today, I reproduceably found the reason: After I have externally (Photo Mechanic Plus) keyworded a NEF I cannot import it any more. The effect does not show with CR2s and ARWs.

Has anybody else observed such a thing?

Best regards, Rolf

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 09:14:20 AM »
Dub,

Problem with CameraRaw.
(Problem with PM6+ 5574 and 5560)
As soon as I make a modification on a NEF or CR2 file the two fields "Profile" and "Process" (see screenshot below) are reset to zero.
Procedure:
-Open the NEF with cameraRaw (13.2 in my case)
-Switch to the current Process (Process 5)
-Change the profile
-Click on "Finish"
-Modify an IPTC field in PM6+
-Open the photo again in CameraRaw, both fields are back to their default value

Attached: CameraRaw screenshot, PM6+ preferences screenshot, WeTransfer link with an example photo+xmp.

https://we.tl/t-uaXPTDuWyy

This happens with old photos, already edited with old CameraRaw "Processes".
If I remove all metadata from the photo and edit it first with CameraRaw everything is fine.

If I modify the "Preferences" of PM6+ by modifying only the XMP (no writing of IPTC/XMP in the original RAW), the problem disappears...

Embedding metadata into RAW files modifies the RAW file.  If Adobe's parsing is not following the TIFF standards then it could indeed be thrown off and fail to find key data that it uses to populate those fields.  There is nothing we can do.  Adobe would have to fix their code that reads metadata from RAW files.

I see that you're both embedding XMP and creating/updating XMP sidecars.  That is supported by PM, but it is unusual.  Why do you want both embedded XMP and XMP sidecar files?  Adobe's software will never update the embedded XMP (unless the RAW file is a DNG) and any adjustments you make will only be written to the XMP sidecar file and then you'll have two pieces of metadata that are now out of sync.

I suggest switching to an XMP-sidecar-only workflow (you can use the "Adobe" settings snapshot in the IPTC/XMP page to quickly load them) and using the "Revert TIFF-based RAW to original" command on the Tools menu to remove the embedded metadata.

You should have no trouble after that.

-Kirk

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 09:26:42 AM »
I see that you're both embedding XMP and creating/updating XMP sidecars.  That is supported by PM, but it is unusual.  Why do you want both embedded XMP and XMP sidecar files?  Adobe's software will never update the embedded XMP (unless the RAW file is a DNG) and any adjustments you make will only be written to the XMP sidecar file and then you'll have two pieces of metadata that are now out of sync.

I use both for "security"... belt and suspenders as we say in France...  :D

Kirk, thank you for this answer, I will follow your advice and use the XMP only.

;)
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/