Author Topic: extreme slow running in PM6+  (Read 1308 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
extreme slow running in PM6+
« on: April 06, 2021, 10:36:02 AM »
Can anyone help with this extreme slowdown in PM6+?

Mac Pro 5,1 OS 10.14.6, 32 GB RAM, GPU Radeon RX 580 8 GB. I’m using build 5724 but I was using 5716 with the same problem.

I’m a photographer and I’m making a new catalog to hold all of my images and their variants, that’s about 200k files spread over 4 drives. All have some IPTC metadata embedded, some have xmp files.

2 of the image containing drives are external USB3 via a card in the Mac, the other 2 are internal SATA spinning disks. The app is on a SATA SSD with the OS and other apps. The catalog is on a 1TB SSD, also internal SATA. The speed of ingest doesn’t seem much different between the internal and external drives.

I deleted my previous test catalogs and selected the drives to scan for a new catalog this morning and PM began the ingestion showing about 3 days for metadata gathering. I thought that was bad but it’s been growing all day and now, about 9 hours later, it’s showing
“About 1054950 items remaining (0.2/sec, est. 55.5 days)”
That’s far more than the number of images. Are these ‘items’ individual metadata fields? If not, what?

Probably related, is that whenever I return to a PM6+ contact sheet from the finder or another app the images all go blank and I get a message that it’s preloading metadata. That takes 1 – 2 minutes, then it re-sorts the images. If I go to do something else in another app then, when I activate PM6+ again it restarts the preloading. I’m not actually using the catalog yet but this would make it impossible.

Reintegration took about 8 hours on a previous test catalog so whatever is slowing PM down affects all aspects of the catalog. Ingesting from a card to a folder with PM6 is as fast as usual.

Activity monitor mostly shows Photo Mechanic Plus using 60 – 120% and pm-task 4 – 80% so it is busy – but what might be the cause of this crippling slowness?

I’ve been using Media Pro for this job and that works reasonably quickly. Photoshop is running as fast as usual. Something must be wrong with the way my setup is interacting with PM6+. I'm tearing my hair. Suggestions very welcome!

TIA

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: extreme slow running in PM6+
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 10:43:19 AM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk