Author Topic: Spotlight Cache problem  (Read 2037 times)

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
  • Let's be nice to nature!
    • View Profile
    • Sebastian Burger Photography and Projects
Spotlight Cache problem
« on: April 16, 2021, 11:27:27 PM »
Good morning Kirk'n'Crew!
Great you released another interim build - I don't post my problem below your corresponding post because I had this problem also under the official stable built. It occurs since I updated my MBP (under great stress and pain) to Big Sur: Starting PM+ a Popup warns that Spotlight was searching withing the PM Cache.
  • Before anything I selected the whole "chaches" folder under spotlight / data protection. I.E.: The PM+ chache is supposed not to be searched by spotlight either
  • If I hit "yes" no matter whether I select deleting or moving the cache the same popup occurs after restarting PM+
  • When I manually hit the "default"-Button in the preferences chache-pane it changes "/Users/seba/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic" to "/Users/Seba/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic". Restarting resets it again to "s"..

Any idea what to do? May be up to Big Sur?!
Working since 2012 on https://www.mut-tour.de: As Initiator and "art director" I deal a lot with my and other photographers images and am happy to leave fuggin' Adobe's subscription trap. Hoping camera bits guys keep on programming.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Spotlight Cache problem
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 12:04:34 PM »
Great you released another interim build - I don't post my problem below your corresponding post because I had this problem also under the official stable built. It occurs since I updated my MBP (under great stress and pain) to Big Sur: Starting PM+ a Popup warns that Spotlight was searching withing the PM Cache.
  • Before anything I selected the whole "chaches" folder under spotlight / data protection. I.E.: The PM+ chache is supposed not to be searched by spotlight either
  • If I hit "yes" no matter whether I select deleting or moving the cache the same popup occurs after restarting PM+
  • When I manually hit the "default"-Button in the preferences chache-pane it changes "/Users/seba/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic" to "/Users/Seba/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic". Restarting resets it again to "s"..

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 12:18:03 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I prefered to send you my log via email, since I guess that 13,8 MBit of LogData include information about me (filenames, used cameras, Harddrives etc.) that I don't want to share with everybody or am I mistaken?!
Working since 2012 on https://www.mut-tour.de: As Initiator and "art director" I deal a lot with my and other photographers images and am happy to leave fuggin' Adobe's subscription trap. Hoping camera bits guys keep on programming.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 09:36:57 AM »
Our support folks relayed your email to me and I now have your log file.

Your preferences database is damaged thus none of your preferences (including your cache path) cannot be saved nor can they be restored when you launch Photo Mechanic Plus again.

It will need to be deleted.  First quit Photo Mechanic Plus.  Then in the Finder, open a new Finder window, then use the "Go to Folder..." command on the "Go" menu.  Enter:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic

Delete the following three file files:

com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefsdb.bak
com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs
com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefsdb

Restart Photo Mechanic Plus.  A new preferences database should be created and you may encounter that Spotlight warning once more.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 12:43:13 PM »
Thanks! Seems to have worked!!