Author Topic: Rename .wav file during ingest  (Read 4505 times)

Offline pccola

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rename .wav file during ingest
« on: April 25, 2014, 04:12:38 PM »
Hi,
When I ingest my .nef and .mov files, I rename them using a sequence number. But when I try to rename .wav files during an ingest, the files will copy as expected, but they aren't renamed. The .wav files are not associated with still images -- they are separate audio files from interviews.
Thanks for your help,
Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rename .wav file during ingest
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »
Paul,

When I ingest my .nef and .mov files, I rename them using a sequence number. But when I try to rename .wav files during an ingest, the files will copy as expected, but they aren't renamed. The .wav files are not associated with still images -- they are separate audio files from interviews.

What does your rename string look like?

-Kirk

Offline pccola

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 06:00:05 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Kirk. My renaming string is: 44{seqn}-01
I have both "rename ingested photos as" and "sequence" checked.
Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply Kirk. My renaming string is: 44{seqn}-01
I have both "rename ingested photos as" and "sequence" checked.

Were the sound files stored in their own folder or were they among the images you shot?

Once I know enough about your directory layout, I'll try and reproduce the problem locally.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline pccola

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »
The .wav files are in their own folder. I do a separate ingest of a folder that only has .wav files. I've attached a screen shot of the ingest window.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline pccola

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »
Kirk, were you able to find a solution to this?
Thx,
Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:52:36 AM »
Paul,

I have not had a chance to try and reproduce this.  I will work on it soon though.  If I had to guess, the problem would be that WAV files are not images and do not have any camera metadata in them so PM treats them as an unknown file unless they match up with an image, in which case PM would associate it with an image and make sure that the WAV file is renamed in sync with its associated image.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 10:32:11 AM »
I see that this was addressed 7 years ago, but I have a new use case to consider. 

I am shooting a multi-camera video project and using PM to do a quick ingest all the .MOV files from the chips between each session so I can check them before excusing the subject.  I am using an external audio recorder to capture all audio.  During incremental ingest, I do a custom rename of the ingested files to the subject's name that is being interviewed plus original file name .

PM ingests the audio files fine, but because it wasn't captured as a WAV corresponding with an image, it is not renaming it to the same rules (booo). 

Is there way a future option could be enabled to let me specify unknown file types (maybe by .MP3/.WAV extension?) to be renamed using the current renaming rules during ingest?

For video projects like this, an integrated renaming workflow during ingest would be really valuable.

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 11:08:39 AM »
Mike,

I see that this was addressed 7 years ago, but I have a new use case to consider. 

I am shooting a multi-camera video project and using PM to do a quick ingest all the .MOV files from the chips between each session so I can check them before excusing the subject.  I am using an external audio recorder to capture all audio.  During incremental ingest, I do a custom rename of the ingested files to the subject's name that is being interviewed plus original file name .

PM ingests the audio files fine, but because it wasn't captured as a WAV corresponding with an image, it is not renaming it to the same rules (booo). 

Is there way a future option could be enabled to let me specify unknown file types (maybe by .MP3/.WAV extension?) to be renamed using the current renaming rules during ingest?

For video projects like this, an integrated renaming workflow during ingest would be really valuable.

I'll need some concrete examples of what's going on here.  As written, I do not understand what you're saying.

WAV files do not have EXIF data like images do so if you're using any variables that are EXIF or otherwise image-related, they're never going to work unless they are paired up with an image (base names match).

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 02:03:39 PM »
To help clarify, I shoot video with several cameras.  Those produce .MOV files that I can ingest from the chip.

Separate from the camera, I have a TASCAM DR-60 field audio recorder that my microphones all connect into.  This records high quality audio to an SD card concurrent to the video being captured.

At the end of a session, I have a .MOV file from each camera on a separate chip and a .WAV file on a SD card from the TASCAM. 

Today, when I ingest all the files (3 cameras plus TASCAM) in PM, I have my ingest dialog set to rename the files.  The .MOV files are correctly renamed, but the .WAV from the TASCAM is not.  I do not need to update any metadata on the .WAV file; I just want to have it be renamed according to the rules I set up:

<subjects name>-{filenamebase}

as the files are being read in and stored on the computer.  I sync the audio to the video in Premiere Pro, the only thing I would like to have is the rename rule applied to the .WAV.  Any IPTC data being stuffed into an XMP can go to the .MOV files and just skip that for .WAV files.

Does that help?

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 02:45:16 PM »
Mike,

Does that help?

Yes.  Unfortunately a 'naked' .WAV file is treated like any other unknown file type for Ingest.  It may as well be a .TXT file as far as Ingest is concerned.  If it can be paired up with an image it will be renamed, if it cannot, then it will be treated as an unknown type and will be copied without renaming.

I see value in what you're trying to do so I think I can create an image handler for it (that just returns a proxy image if it ends up in a contact sheet unpaired) and then it would act like an image for the purposes of copying/renaming.  I will have to investigate further.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 03:25:21 PM »
Thanks Kirk.  I appreciate you taking a look at this and seeing what is possible within the PM feature roadmap.

-Mike