Author Topic: Weird Issues With a NAS  (Read 2534 times)

Offline cbfaulkner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Weird Issues With a NAS
« on: April 22, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »
Kirk,

My photos are stored on a NAS.  The UNC path to the folder is \\nas\docs\photo.  This is shared with another user.  There is one folder under called "no scan" that I exclude from the scan. It uses a UNC path.  My catalog is stored locally on drive D.

Sometimes when doing a “Scan to Catalog”, the exclude folder is ignored by PM+ and the files are added.  This should not happen.

At other times, when I “Sync Catalogs” it will add all the pictures again that was added when Scan to Catalog was done.  My photos double from 40K to 80K.

This seems to happen rather often but not each time.  I have tried deleting and creating a new catalog and have the same issues.  I tried adding the UNC path as a shared folder.  This did not help resolve the issues. 

Hope this helps.

Cedric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Weird Issues With a NAS
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 01:10:15 PM »
Cedric,

My photos are stored on a NAS.  The UNC path to the folder is \\nas\docs\photo.  This is shared with another user.  There is one folder under called "no scan" that I exclude from the scan. It uses a UNC path.  My catalog is stored locally on drive D.

Sometimes when doing a “Scan to Catalog”, the exclude folder is ignored by PM+ and the files are added.  This should not happen.

At other times, when I “Sync Catalogs” it will add all the pictures again that was added when Scan to Catalog was done.  My photos double from 40K to 80K.

This seems to happen rather often but not each time.  I have tried deleting and creating a new catalog and have the same issues.  I tried adding the UNC path as a shared folder.  This did not help resolve the issues. 

Is the NAS always referred to by its UNC path or do you also have a drive letter assigned to it?

-Kirk

Offline cbfaulkner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 01:22:47 PM »
Kirk,

It has a drive letter assigned.  When I used the drive letter PM+ would use the UNC path.  So I removed the catalog and only reference through UNC when using PM+.

Cedric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 02:01:40 PM »
Cedric,

It has a drive letter assigned.  When I used the drive letter PM+ would use the UNC path.  So I removed the catalog and only reference through UNC when using PM+.

So now all path interaction with Photo Mechanic Plus is via UNC paths?  Did the catalog that you're using (the one that gets the doubling) ever use a drive letter for the NAS?

-Kirk

Offline cbfaulkner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 04:02:10 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Yes, all Catalog uses are with the UNC not the drive letter.  When the catalog was built it did not use the drive letter.

I have not had any issues since, but it happened a couple of times before I submitted my initial post.

Cedric

Offline cbfaulkner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 12:06:04 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I am having some small issues and most likely I don't understand what is happening.

My catalog is stored on D: and my photos on the NAS which has a mapped drive letter.  When using PhotoMechanic I have to use the mapped drive in the Navigator.  I can't or don't know how to navigate to the UNC. 

When I setup the scan to catalog I used the UNC not the drive letter.  I then changed some photo metadata and searched for all photos with a colorval = 8.  My updated files were not found.  I did a Catalog Sync Quick Scan (using UNC) to add them.  Still not found.  I did a Catalog Sync Full to update the metadata.  The photos were still not found.  I went to the folder in the navigator which is mapped to a drive letter and chose Include in Catalog".  I can now find them when I search.

As a history, when I tried using a UNC to the NAS exclusively that did not work.  Should I use a locally mapped drive letter to my NAS?  What is the recommendation?  And can this document be updated to cover some of these simple questions?

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001159651-where-should-i-store-my-catalogs-

Thanks,

Cedric

Offline cbfaulkner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 12:20:56 PM »
Kirk,

As you probably know, when I try to add my mapped drive "P:" under Scan to Catalog > Folders to Scan it expands it to the UNC.

Cedric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 12:40:03 PM »
Cedric,

The problem where mapped drive letters are converted to UNC paths needs to be fixed.  This is a big change so the next official build will not have the changes needed to correct the problem in it.  Once the next build is released, we'll address the issue.

-Kirk