Author Topic: Viewing Captions  (Read 8640 times)

Offline light1471

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Viewing Captions
« on: April 25, 2007, 08:08:59 PM »
Where are captions visible.  I have entered them into the IPTC folder for a phota, but never see them  Aren't they supposed to be visible with a photo wherever you see it?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Viewing Captions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 08:56:27 PM »
Where are captions visible.  I have entered them into the IPTC folder for a phota, but never see them  Aren't they supposed to be visible with a photo wherever you see it?

Generally IPTC data is embedded into the image.  You can view it in Photo Mechanic from the IPTC Info dialog.  You can open up the IPTC Info dialog by clicking on the 'i' button that appears over each photo as you roll the mouse cursor over each image.  You can also view the information in other applications like Photoshop, iView Media Pro, Bridge, Lightroom, etc.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline light1471

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 04:05:53 AM »
So there not "captions" in the classic sene where they are viewed in the final product?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 06:15:51 AM »
So there not "captions" in the classic sene where they are viewed in the final product?

Of course the captions are in the file or in an XMP sidecar file.  You need to view them with a program that knows how to view them.  There are many programs capable of doing this.

Maybe I am not understanding what you're looking for.  Do you want to see them as text rendered over the top of the image?

-Kirk

Offline light1471

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 06:07:59 PM »
Yes Kirk, I was thinking they would be visible all the time, in most any viewer.  If they are not, what's the difference between a Caption, a Keyword, a Headline etc?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »
Yes Kirk, I was thinking they would be visible all the time, in most any viewer.  If they are not, what's the difference between a Caption, a Keyword, a Headline etc?

They're just different fields that have different uses.  All those fields have been in use for more than a decade by news organizations to help them describe their images.  It's really just metadata (data about data).

If you expect something like Paint to view them then I'm sorry but you'll have to use something a little more IPTC metadata-savvy to view your images.

-Kirk

Offline light1471

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 07:03:51 PM »
So kirk, if this is just one of many fields, where can I learn how they are used.  They each must serve some purpose

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 07:25:37 PM »
So kirk, if this is just one of many fields, where can I learn how they are used.  They each must serve some purpose

Here: http://www.iptc.org/std/Iptc4xmpCore/1.0/documentation/Iptc4xmpCore_1.0-doc-CpanelsUserGuide_13.pdf

HTH,

-Kirk