Author Topic: Adobe DNG Raw Converter Runs Forever  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Tom R

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Adobe DNG Raw Converter Runs Forever
« on: April 14, 2021, 02:25:08 PM »
This is particularly annoying: Seems that It takes an inordinate amount of time for me to examine DNG files created by a Leica M8.2 in PM. This is a sudden development. Really. Trying just now to display a spreadsheet of 58 images has brought this machine's load up to 94%, has run for 30 minutes, produced few converted files, and touching these files only re-starts the process.

I can import the original files in Capture One (Version 20) and I have NO problems. Just last week, it seems, that I was able to freely move between Capture One and PM, but this no longer appears to be the case. Moreover, I can load any of these DNG files into Affinity and it shows up as a RAW, etc., allowing me to edit, etc.

I really don't like Capture One's Metadata handling which is why I purchased and used PM. Now, I'm thinking that I'll need to have the damned camera just use TIFF formats and forget DNGs because I cannot wait for twelve hours (at this rate) to render 60 images.

I don't understand your Preferences setting. For example: I cannot de-select the Adobe DNG converter if I want DNG rendering. I have never seen PM's putative built-in DNG renderer, meaning that I have two options: Either uncheck the box to render DNG in the Render Cache dialog or select the thing but then I must use the Adobe DNG converter, which, as I said, used to work.

Anyone have any idea how to break this deadly embrace, or should I just use TIF files and forget about it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:38:25 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Adobe DNG Raw Converter Runs Forever
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 03:38:03 PM »
This is particularly annoying: Seems that It takes an inordinate amount of time for me to examine DNG files created by a Leica M8.2 in PM. This is a sudden development. Really. Trying just now to display a spreadsheet of 58 images has brought this machine's load up to 94%, has run for 30 minutes, produced few converted files, and touching these files only re-starts the process.

I can import the original files in Capture One (Version 20) and I have NO problems. Just last week, it seems, that I was able to freely move between Capture One and PM, but this no longer appears to be the case. Moreover, I can load any of these DNG files into Affinity and it shows up as a RAW, etc., allowing me to edit, etc.

I really don't like Capture One's Metadata handling which is why I purchased and used PM. Now, I'm thinking that I'll need to have the damned camera just use TIFF formats and forget DNGs because I cannot wait for twelve hours (at this rate) to render 60 images.

I don't understand your Preferences setting. For example: I cannot de-select the Adobe DNG converter if I want DNG rendering. I have never seen PM's putative built-in DNG renderer, meaning that I have two options: Either uncheck the box to render DNG in the Render Cache dialog or select the thing but then I must use the Adobe DNG converter, which, as I said, used to work.

I suggest turning off RAW Rendering in Photo Mechanic.  It is too slow to be usable.

-Kirk

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 10:34:24 PM »
...Anyone have any idea how to break this deadly embrace

DxO just released a "canned" raw handler, Pure Raw. If I understand it correctly, it reads a raw file and creates a DNG like Adobe's converter does, but it adds a bit of image processing on the fly. The idea is to give the LR or C1 user a better starting point. I do not know if it will take your DNGs as "raw" input and produce DNGs that suits your purpose. Likewise, I do not know if Pure Raw creates and embeds preview images in the output DNG.

There is a free 30 day trial version: https://www.dxo.com/dxo-pureraw/download/

--
Odd S.

Offline Tom R

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 10:10:45 AM »
Thank everyone for their helpful input. Of these, turning off the raw rendering option seems to easiest and least problematic. In my case, I don't do any extensive editing in PM, I can easily do without the extra feature.

Tom R

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 12:38:03 AM »
...Anyone have any idea how to break this deadly embrace

DxO just released a "canned" raw handler, Pure Raw. If I understand it correctly, it reads a raw file and creates a DNG like Adobe's converter does, but it adds a bit of image processing on the fly. The idea is to give the LR or C1 user a better starting point. I do not know if it will take your DNGs as "raw" input and produce DNGs that suits your purpose. Likewise, I do not know if Pure Raw creates and embeds preview images in the output DNG.

There is a free 30 day trial version: https://www.dxo.com/dxo-pureraw/download/

Thanks Odd, interesting to study this new DNG conversion.
jose.