Author Topic: Navigator pane missing  (Read 6998 times)

Offline msturk

• View Profile
Navigator pane missing
« on: May 18, 2019, 08:34:49 AM »
I used to be able to see the little dimple on the left side edge of my contact sheet to bring back my Navigator/Favorrites panel when I somehow made it disappear. Well it's disappeared again and I can't find the dimple to bring it back. I'm on a MacBook Pro, using Mojave and PM6 with latest update.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Navigator pane missing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 09:56:36 AM »
Mike,

I used to be able to see the little dimple on the left side edge of my contact sheet to bring back my Navigator/Favorrites panel when I somehow made it disappear. Well it's disappeared again and I can't find the dimple to bring it back. I'm on a MacBook Pro, using Mojave and PM6 with latest update.

Just click and drag the vertical bar on the left edge of the contact sheet window (it is just inside the border of the window), dimple or not, you can drag it to the right to see the Favorites and Navigator again.

-Kirk

Offline msturk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 01:22:11 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I think I was expecting something to happen the instant I started dragging but it doesn't happen right away if that makes any sense. All good now.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 01:45:29 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I think I was expecting something to happen the instant I started dragging but it doesn't happen right away if that makes any sense. All good now.

Yes, it resists expansion for a little bit then snaps open.

-Kirk

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 05:22:09 AM »
I'm clicking and dragging as instructed below but nothing happens, even dragging 70% or so of the way across the screen. PM 6.0, build 5029. Not even sure how it disappeared.

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 05:45:50 AM »
Restarted my Mac; that diid nothing. Next, I trashed com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist & com.camerabits.PMNavigationAgent.plist thinking that might restore default settings. Now I can at least drag the vertical left bar but I only get a black window, not the navigator pane. I can drag a folder into the main window, but can't drag it into the navigator pane. I've looked through all the preference panes, but can't find anything similar to "restore defaults."

Finally discovered the solution after trying a bunch of random stuff: don't just click and drag on the left vertical bar. Instead, shift-click-drag. Must've changed since PM5 since this is an older post.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 09:10:03 AM »
Restarted my Mac; that diid nothing. Next, I trashed com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist & com.camerabits.PMNavigationAgent.plist thinking that might restore default settings. Now I can at least drag the vertical left bar but I only get a black window, not the navigator pane. I can drag a folder into the main window, but can't drag it into the navigator pane. I've looked through all the preference panes, but can't find anything similar to "restore defaults."

Finally discovered the solution after trying a bunch of random stuff: don't just click and drag on the left vertical bar. Instead, shift-click-drag. Must've changed since PM5 since this is an older post.

That's news to me.  I haven't changed that code in more than two years.  And I checked the code that does the dragging and it doesn't check for keys at all.

But I'm glad you've solved your issue.

-Kirk

Offline Peterv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 09:20:07 AM »
Is there a mechanism to assign a shortcut key to toggle the navigator pane on and off?
It would be a lot quicker than moving the mouse and dragging and dropping or double clicking the bar with a dimple?

TIA

Peter.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 09:51:05 AM »
Peter,

Is there a mechanism to assign a shortcut key to toggle the navigator pane on and off?

No, there is no such mechanism.

-Kirk

Offline Peterv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 07:08:21 AM »
Is there any way to size the navigator pane using the keyboard?

You have informed me there is no toggle functionality for this but it is slow to use mouse/trackpad to differentiate between the dimple and the edge of the window when trying to open a closed navigator pane.

I frequently toggle between half sized and full sized windows. When using a half sized window I rarely need to see the navigator pane but in the full sized window I generally do.

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline Peterv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 09:10:52 AM »
Thanks Dub

Your link to the double click solution for toggling the navigation pane is extremely useful to me and something I have longed for.

I am not sure if it is widely known but hopefully this forum will reveal it to others.

Peter

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 10:03:57 AM »
 ;)
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/