Author Topic: Apostrophes in Getty ESP  (Read 2612 times)

Offline jimBeam

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Apostrophes in Getty ESP
« on: May 27, 2021, 12:47:12 PM »
Hi. I often find that when uploading to Getty's ESP any apostrophes or quotation marks in the description turn into blocks of code once uploaded to the ESP. I've found that copying and pasting from a .txt file turns the curved apostrophe to straight one, which uploads with no problem, but would be great if anyone knows a way to do this straight out of PM. I've tried checking the Unicode box in preferences but it doesn't seem to make a difference. My Default IPTC Encoding is currently set to Mac Roman.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Apostrophes in Getty ESP
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 12:52:50 PM »
Hi. I often find that when uploading to Getty's ESP any apostrophes or quotation marks in the description turn into blocks of code once uploaded to the ESP. I've found that copying and pasting from a .txt file turns the curved apostrophe to straight one, which uploads with no problem, but would be great if anyone knows a way to do this straight out of PM. I've tried checking the Unicode box in preferences but it doesn't seem to make a difference. My Default IPTC Encoding is currently set to Mac Roman.

Sounds like ESP cannot handle Unicode text.  Those curved versions of single and double quotes aren't found in the standard ASCII character set and must be encoded in a UTF-8 byte sequence and ESP is having trouble with them.

When you're not copying and pasting, how are the curved versions of the quotes getting entered into Photo Mechanic?

-Kirk

Offline jimBeam

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 01:43:21 PM »
Thanks Kirk! The curved versions are just what I get when I type straight into PM. I attached an example.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 02:30:00 PM »
Thanks Kirk! The curved versions are just what I get when I type straight into PM. I attached an example.

You probably have smart quote substitutions turned on.  Right-click in the text field and a contextual menu will appear.  On the "Substitutions" submenu, make sure that "Smart Quotes" is unchecked.  If it is checked, selecting it will uncheck it.  You can also use the "Replace Quotes" item to convert everything to smart quotes or to regular "dumb" quotes.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jimBeam

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 09:46:46 AM »
Amazing. You're a hero. Thank you!!