Author Topic: NEF + JPG  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
NEF + JPG
« on: June 10, 2021, 08:15:44 AM »
I still intend to keep using PM for admin of images because it is now very familiar and fast so very happy with PM. However, I have recently changed to Nikon studio X for initial processing of the raw files. When trying to do some tidying up duplicates and culling I now find that I get a NEF + JPG file in PM. I only process the RAW file and do not bother with the JPG except on rare occasions to upload to a website etc. Can I get rid of the annoying JPG?

I still use Photoshop occasionally but am finding Nikon studio very good and easy to use with PM.

Nikon studio is set to save adjustments to original image as opposed to save adjustments to a sidecar file in a sub folder. Does this have anything to do with it? Which do people think is the best option.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: NEF + JPG
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 08:41:35 AM »
I still intend to keep using PM for admin of images because it is now very familiar and fast so very happy with PM. However, I have recently changed to Nikon studio X for initial processing of the raw files. When trying to do some tidying up duplicates and culling I now find that I get a NEF + JPG file in PM. I only process the RAW file and do not bother with the JPG except on rare occasions to upload to a website etc. Can I get rid of the annoying JPG?

Certainly, you can delete the JPEGs.  But you'd be better off finding out where in your workflow that they're produced and stop that from happening.  Otherwise you'll continually be finding and deleting them as they appear.

Nikon studio is set to save adjustments to original image as opposed to save adjustments to a sidecar file in a sub folder. Does this have anything to do with it?

I am not familiar with that software so I cannot say.  I suggest checking the folder of images that you're working with after each step in your workflow and see which step produces them.  Then see what you can do to stop it from happening.  PM isn't producing the JPEGs, that much I know.

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
Re: NEF + JPG
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 12:59:13 AM »
Thanks again Kirk, very helpful as always. I think I will contact Nikon Studio support and see what suggestions they have.

I am finding that both programmes complement one another nicely.