Author Topic: Longtime bug?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline db7178

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Longtime bug?
« on: June 10, 2021, 02:10:40 PM »
This is something I've been dealing with tolerantly for years across multiple versions and I am just finding the time to post about it.

When typing ALT-2 or ALT-3 to set a star rating, the keystroke is often slow to be acknowledged and often is ignored altogether, even when you sit and wait. Surely there's something that could be done to whatever code is monitoring keyboard input or applying star ratings to make acknowledgement of these keystrokes more snappy.

Using V 6, build 5820 at the moment.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Longtime bug?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 02:14:40 PM »
This is something I've been dealing with tolerantly for years across multiple versions and I am just finding the time to post about it.

When typing ALT-2 or ALT-3 to set a star rating, the keystroke is often slow to be acknowledged and often is ignored altogether, even when you sit and wait. Surely there's something that could be done to whatever code is monitoring keyboard input or applying star ratings to make acknowledgement of these keystrokes more snappy.

Using V 6, build 5820 at the moment.

What kind of image files are you working with and on what kind of media are they stored?

-Kirk

Offline db7178

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 02:23:39 PM »
One more fact: May be worse when the image is open in Photo Mechanic.

What kind of image files are you working with and on what kind of media are they stored?
They're mostly always Nikon D850 NEFs and usually on 12-TB Western Digital Gold SATA drives. The dominant characteristic of this problem is typing ALT-2 (for example) and then having to hit it 2 or 3 more times before it's acknowledged.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 04:01:18 PM »
One more fact: May be worse when the image is open in Photo Mechanic.

Open how?  Do you mean that the image is visible in the Preview window?

They're mostly always Nikon D850 NEFs and usually on 12-TB Western Digital Gold SATA drives. The dominant characteristic of this problem is typing ALT-2 (for example) and then having to hit it 2 or 3 more times before it's acknowledged.

Are you using XMP sidecar files or embedding XMP into your NEFs?

-Kirk

Offline db7178

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 04:42:41 AM »
Yes, "open" in the preview window of PM. Using sidecar files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 07:30:41 PM »
Yes, "open" in the preview window of PM. Using sidecar files.

We'll try to reproduce your problem next week.  If we can't reproduce it, I will add some logging and make you a build to try and then you'll reproduce the problem and then send me the log file and then hopefully I'll be able to fix it.

-Kirk