Author Topic: Altering Catalogue Browse Field Selections?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline CPL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Altering Catalogue Browse Field Selections?
« on: June 17, 2021, 12:03:46 PM »
Hello,

When you are using a catalogue, is it possible to alter and/or customize the fields listed when you are accessing data using the "Browse" tab?

For example, under the "Browse" tab, there is "EXIF" information. When I expand the "EXIF" list down to show all the available fields, there are only four as follows:
> Lens Used
> Model
> Serial Number
> User

Is there a way to alter, change, edit, and/or customize this list?

I would like to add more fields to make the "Browse" tab more usable and customized to suit my requirements.

I'm running a MacBook Pro with macOS Mojave 10.14.5 and PM+ V6.0 Build 5820.

Thank you.

Garry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Altering Catalogue Browse Field Selections?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 12:48:30 PM »
Garry,

When you are using a catalogue, is it possible to alter and/or customize the fields listed when you are accessing data using the "Browse" tab?

For example, under the "Browse" tab, there is "EXIF" information. When I expand the "EXIF" list down to show all the available fields, there are only four as follows:
> Lens Used
> Model
> Serial Number
> User

Is there a way to alter, change, edit, and/or customize this list?

No.

I would like to add more fields to make the "Browse" tab more usable and customized to suit my requirements.

What would those requirements be?

-Kirk

Offline CPL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 10:59:24 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry to take so long to respond.

I'm not a photojournalist so my requirements aren't as detailed as the metadata fields required according to the IPTC standards. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but I find browsing and searching the EXIF data to be a useful way to view images based on for example, focal length, lens used, or in the case of infrared, the camera type.

As I posted earlier, under the "Browse" tab there are only four fields available under the EXIF field to browse the catalogue. But, there is a lot more information available that can be used to make browsing through the EXIF data field much more powerful. The data is already in the catalogue database. I checked the EXIF data with the images online and offline and it's all there so all the data was read when the catalogue was created but it's not accessible by browsing. In fact, I'm unable to perform a "Search" on EXIF data that exists in the catalogue database when the "Search" checkbox has been checked. So the information is there but we are unable to use it.

I believe that the ability to customize any fields under the "Browse" tab would be a great feature of PM+. Also, I would like to be able to perform a search under the "Search" tab on the EXIF data in the catalogue database. The "Filter" tab would also require work since the pull down menu that lists "EXIF" has a fly-out menu that has the same four selections.

Perhaps I should be posting this in the feature request area?

I've also attached a pdf of a suggested set of EXIF fields that I screen captured from the preview screen. These are just suggested EXIF fields that I find useful and which will probably change over time.

Any comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you.

Garry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 11:15:20 AM »
EXIF fields that are not indexed cannot be searched.  Photo Mechanic Plus does not index all EXIF fields.  To do so would severely impact the performance of adding items to the catalog.  We have chosen the fields we think would be most useful to most photographers.  We could add a few more but not many more.

-Kirk

Offline CPL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 11:55:11 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering why searching EXIF didn't work even though the information is in the database.

Have a good weekend.

Garry