Author Topic: GeoCoding Links  (Read 4070 times)

Offline gregkeene

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
GeoCoding Links
« on: April 27, 2007, 01:33:22 PM »
When latitude and longitude are values filled out, it would be great to provide a link to GoogleMaps and GoogleEarth to go to the location where the photo is GeoCoded.

My preference would for the link to be available inside the IPTC info area (because that's usually where I'm usually asking the question -- where did I shoot this photo)? But it also probably makes sense as a right click option in the contact sheet.

The KML specification is pretty easy and hopefully wouldn't be too tough to implement inside PhotoMechanic.

Regards,

Greg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GeoCoding Links
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 03:03:22 PM »
Greg,

When latitude and longitude are values filled out, it would be great to provide a link to GoogleMaps and GoogleEarth to go to the location where the photo is GeoCoded.

My preference would for the link to be available inside the IPTC info area (because that's usually where I'm usually asking the question -- where did I shoot this photo)? But it also probably makes sense as a right click option in the contact sheet.

The KML specification is pretty easy and hopefully wouldn't be too tough to implement inside PhotoMechanic.

We have a feature similar to what you're asking for in the Mac OS X version of Photo Mechanic 4.5 as a context menu option.  It uses Google Maps to show you where your photo was taken if it has the necessary GPS Exif tags.

It will be added to the Windows version in the 4.5.2 version of PM.

-Kirk

Offline gregkeene

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: GeoCoding Links
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 05:10:37 PM »
Greg,

We have a feature similar to what you're asking for in the Mac OS X version of Photo Mechanic 4.5 as a context menu option.  It uses Google Maps to show you where your photo was taken if it has the necessary GPS Exif tags.

It will be added to the Windows version in the 4.5.2 version of PM.

-Kirk

Kirk:

I'm embarrassed. Here I'm using the Mac version and missed it. It's very nice, I like it. My wishes for your future consideration is:

1) As I move from photo to photo, it would be nice to retain the zoom level and map I'm using (map/satellite/hybrid).

2) When editing IPTC info, I'd love to be able to add a map (sized similarly to the image) so that I can see the location in addition to photo as I edit IPTC info.

Great stuff.

Greg