Author Topic: Ingest new images only isn't working  (Read 3735 times)

Offline jillbrammer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest new images only isn't working
« on: June 29, 2021, 05:54:43 PM »
I know to check the bow for Incremental ingest: copy new images only but it isn't working. I put in my card to ingest the last 30 photos I took and it wants to ingest all off them on the card again and that's a lot. I spent a good amount of time deleting duplicates after I stopped the ingest. If that is checked why wouldn't it only copy the new images? It's to the same external hard drive as always. Anyone have an idea how I can choose only the ones I want to ingest? Thank you!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest new images only isn't working
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 06:01:48 PM »
Jill,

I know to check the bow for Incremental ingest: copy new images only but it isn't working. I put in my card to ingest the last 30 photos I took and it wants to ingest all off them on the card again and that's a lot. I spent a good amount of time deleting duplicates after I stopped the ingest. If that is checked why wouldn't it only copy the new images?

It can happen for a few reasons:

1) Photo Mechanic was unable add an identifier file to your card that it will use to track what files have previously ingested.
2) Photo Mechanic was unable to update its database of files that were previously ingested.
3) The time on your computer has shifted significantly (usually happens when the clocks move back in the fall).

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder (or Windows Explorer) window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

It's to the same external hard drive as always. Anyone have an idea how I can choose only the ones I want to ingest?

You can browse the card and select the files you want to Ingest and use "Ingest from Selection".  But you shouldn't have to use this if you otherwise like using Incremental Ingest.  We should be able to figure out what's going wrong.  Please get me that log.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jillbrammer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 07:32:11 AM »
Zip file is attached. Let me know if I got you what you need to see or not. From your reposes I know it's the third reason... I went from eastern time to mountain then central and repeat going back. I dowloaded in central time and now I'm on eastern time wanting to download a few extra images I took once I returned home and it wants to download the whole card again. There's not that many I need to ingest so I can do the "Browse from Selection" unless you have another idea. That work around what what I was looking for. Thank you!

Offline jillbrammer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 07:41:13 AM »
I meant "Ingest from Selection". I just tried it and it didn't give me the option to choose what to ingest and it didn't ingest anything. So I do need your help. Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 09:02:01 AM »
Jill,

I meant "Ingest from Selection". I just tried it and it didn't give me the option to choose what to ingest and it didn't ingest anything. So I do need your help. Thank you.

Please see the following:

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000341501-how-to-use-ingest-from-selection

-Kirk

Offline jillbrammer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 06:46:13 AM »
Game changer. The link helped me figure out the Ingest from Selection". Thank you!

Offline jeffe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 08:56:27 AM »
I know to check the bow for Incremental ingest: copy new images only but it isn't working. I put in my card to ingest the last 30 photos I took and it wants to ingest all off them on the card again and that's a lot. I spent a good amount of time deleting duplicates after I stopped the ingest. If that is checked why wouldn't it only copy the new images? It's to the same external hard drive as always. Anyone have an idea how I can choose only the ones I want to ingest? Thank you!
This is now happening to me as well. I've been using PM for many years and never have I had this problem to this extent.
Now on newest build- 6.0, build 7102 (796dd4a)
MacBook Pro, OS 10.15.7- Catalina

Offline jeffe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 08:59:29 AM »
Here is my Support log. Please have a look & Let Me Know how to fix.
thx

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2024, 09:25:34 AM »
Here is my Support log. Please have a look & Let Me Know how to fix.
thx

Here is what your log says related to incremental ingest:

[Tue Apr-02-2024 10:43:40.843][700014691000][20371488] CBFileIO.cpp:1162 ERROR:could not write 38 bytes, wrote only 0 bytes in "/Volumes/NIKON D810/.pmingest.dat", errno is 21 [Is a directory].
Disk may be full.

Photo Mechanic needs to write a small file to your memory card called .pmingest.dat in order for Incremental Ingest to work. If there is no space at all on the card, this operation can fail. Was your card completely full or close to it at the time?

Offline jeffe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 11:57:57 AM »
No, sorry it (they) weren't.

This happened several times in the past few days. From cards barely half full.
32GB and 64GB cards.

I need to do a test & see if its just the SD cards or SD and XQD.
Shooting in 2 cameras.
Ah - the log says the D810. So it was on Sandisk SD cards, as I've been using for several years. But it happened with 2 different cards. Neither anywhere near full.

And both had been Formatted in camera before use - as always.

I have a couple more related questions:
-If I use PM to ingest a card to a particular folder, then move those files to a new folder, should the incremental Ingest still work when I next plug that card in for the next group of photos to ingest? And do I need to use PM to move them for that to work?

-Also if I start to edit out bad or redundant frames and throw them out, will PM download them again or should the file placed on the card keep the deleted files from being ingested again?
At the moment I am having to keep all the bad frames in the folder during this convention job I'm shooting until I can get home & do my final edit.  At least I can color code them. RED so at least I can select them quickly for deletion later, but
I'd prefer to be able to toss those frames as I go.

I just did a test with that camera and 2 freshly formatted cards. Shot the next segment of the shoot and let PM ingest.
Then I put the SD card I used for download back in camera, shot 2 frames, put it back in card reader & let PM ingest.
It once again started duplicating files. There has to be some 25GB available on the 32GB card.
Now I haven't tested the CF card for that camera or the Nikon D850 yet.
WTF....

Here is the log again:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 01:41:42 PM by jeffe »

Offline jeffe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 01:16:22 PM »
And- one more question- Are the files that PM creates on the card to work with the incremental ingest visible to me (us) after they are created on the card?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 02:55:05 PM »
No, sorry it (they) weren't.

This happened several times in the past few days. From cards barely half full.
32GB and 64GB cards.

I need to do a test & see if its just the SD cards or SD and XQD.
Shooting in 2 cameras.
Ah - the log says the D810. So it was on Sandisk SD cards, as I've been using for several years. But it happened with 2 different cards. Neither anywhere near full.

And both had been Formatted in camera before use - as always.

I have a couple more related questions:
-If I use PM to ingest a card to a particular folder, then move those files to a new folder, should the incremental Ingest still work when I next plug that card in for the next group of photos to ingest? And do I need to use PM to move them for that to work?

-Also if I start to edit out bad or redundant frames and throw them out, will PM download them again or should the file placed on the card keep the deleted files from being ingested again?
At the moment I am having to keep all the bad frames in the folder during this convention job I'm shooting until I can get home & do my final edit.  At least I can color code them. RED so at least I can select them quickly for deletion later, but
I'd prefer to be able to toss those frames as I go.

I just did a test with that camera and 2 freshly formatted cards. Shot the next segment of the shoot and let PM ingest.
Then I put the SD card I used for download back in camera, shot 2 frames, put it back in card reader & let PM ingest.
It once again started duplicating files. There has to be some 25GB available on the 32GB card.
WTF....

Here is the log again:

I'm not seeing any newer entries in that log file. However, after speaking to our developers about the error, they also pointed out that the message says that Photo Mechanic thinks that file is a directory, and we're not sure why it would be. If you'd like to get a directory listing for us to see if it really is one, that would be great

To do this, connect the memory card named Nikon D810 where you had the issue and open up the MacOS Terminal and enter the following:

ls -al@be /Volumes/NIKON\ D810

Press return and then copy and paste the output into your reply.

No, when Incremental Ingest is working properly, it records what card it came from and some unique information about the file. It has no idea where the file gets Ingested to or whether it is still there when the next Ingest happens.

Same answer as above. Ingest has no idea that you deleted those files.

WTF....

It sounds like we would cover more ground on this issue with a phone call. You are welcome to give us a call at 503-547-2888

And- one more question- Are the files that PM creates on the card to work with the incremental ingest visible to me (us) after they are created on the card?
Its just a hidden file that can be opened in any text editor.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 04:34:56 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline jeffe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 04:16:33 PM »
Thanks. I'll try to call tomorrow.
I'll also do some tests with other cards and my other camera.

But again, I've been using PM for YEARS - many years, and the only time I've had this issue is when I had to get download the next batch of images from a particular job when I used the second card from a camera that had duplicate photos (shot simultaneously as Backup) not realizing that it was the CARD that got the identifier file, not the image on my drive.

Same 2 cameras, same workflow also past 5 years....

Wonder if I should try an earlier build version ?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2024, 08:56:18 AM »
Wonder if I should try an earlier build version ?
Sure, it couldn't hurt.