Author Topic: Ingesting video files from Sony cameras  (Read 4144 times)

Offline jd20

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingesting video files from Sony cameras
« on: July 13, 2021, 05:45:44 PM »
I'm trying to setup a workflow with PM to ingest both photos and video, using the {mediatype} code replacement recommended in other threads on this forum. I'm running into issues with Sony's XML files (that store important video metadata) and their JPG thumbnails (which cannot be turned off). My current code replacements file looks like this:

Code: [Select]
still Photos
video Video/Footage
unknown Video/Footage

I've attached a picture of my ingest settings. System info:
PhotoMechanic Version: 6.0 build 5820 (a6fdfbc)
MacOS Version: 11.4 (20F71)

XML Files
When I import the SD card, the XML files are ending up in an "=unknown=" folder (see attachment), even though I've added a code replacement for "unknown". So for these, I have to manually copy them over to the right destination after ingest.

JPEG thumbnails
Each mp4 file has a corresponding JPEG thumbnail, these are being imported to my Photos folder alongside my RAW images (see attachment). There doesn't appear to be a camera setting to turn off generation of these thumbnails. I tried changing ingest setting to "RAW Only", but then the XML files do not get imported. For now, I've resorted to manually deleting the JPG files after ingest.

Other Minor Issues
  • Would be nice if PM recognized that a C0123.mp4 and C0123M01.xml files were associated, instead for now I uncheck "Unknown files as proxies" to hide the XML files in contact sheet.
  • PM writes sidecar XMP files when ingesting MP4's, while I realize some people that might be really useful, it'd be nice if there was an option to not create those files for video specifically.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingesting video files from Sony cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 06:22:20 PM »
What does the directory structure where the videos/JPEG thumbnails/xml files look like?  Can you post an image showing the files/folders on the source card?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jd20

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 10:38:34 PM »
The XML files are co-located with the MP4 files, the JPEG thumbnails are in their own folder.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 08:50:19 AM »
The XML files are co-located with the MP4 files, the JPEG thumbnails are in their own folder.

Interesting, the XML files don't have the exact base name as their MP4 counterparts.  Does the affix M01 ever change to M02 or some other value?

-Kirk

Offline jd20

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 11:15:55 AM »
It appears to be fixed. I couldn't really find a definitive spec for the AVCHD format online, but this Sony manual has some pretty detailed information: http://www.grsv.com/downloads/manuals/Sony-PDW-F1600-HD1500-Manual.pdf

On page 106 (attached the relevant snippet below), it states that in the Clip directory, there is an C*.MXF file (this is Sony raw video format, used by their more professional camcorders, all the Sony mirrorless cameras I've worked with though output with MP4 extension instead), accompanied by a C*M01.XML and/or C*M02.KLV. The number for clip files should be in range 0001 to 9999. Hope that helps!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 11:09:37 AM »
Hmm.  I wonder why it's creating those .XML files when the documentation states that they're created when a .MXF file is created.

Can you post one of those .XML files here, please?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jd20

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 02:05:04 AM »
The documentation is for a Sony camera that produces MXF files, but the camera I use creates MP4 files instead, so if you just replace "MXF" with "MP4" in that documentation, it makes more sense. From what I know, pretty much all Sony mirrorless cameras create MP4 files, only a few of their high-end CineAlta cameras create MXF files (it's some sort of Sony proprietary format for raw 8K video).

Attached one of the XML files I have.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 11:34:11 AM »
The documentation is for a Sony camera that produces MXF files, but the camera I use creates MP4 files instead, so if you just replace "MXF" with "MP4" in that documentation, it makes more sense. From what I know, pretty much all Sony mirrorless cameras create MP4 files, only a few of their high-end CineAlta cameras create MXF files (it's some sort of Sony proprietary format for raw 8K video).

Attached one of the XML files I have.

If that file isn't present does some software suffer when playing back the MP4 file?

-Kirk

Offline jd20

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 05:37:25 PM »
Most software will be fine if the XML file is missing. There are some software like Sony Catalyst or other NLE's that do read the files and take advantage of the extra metadata (things like serial number of camera used, lens used, etc...) but they probably function just fine if the XML file is missing.

Originally I wanted them because I thought they stored camera gyroscope data used for stabilization in post, but I've since learned that data is embedded in the MP4 file itself. So I think worse case, I can probably go back to choosing "RAW Only" when importing, which I think will import both ARW and MP4 files (and ignore the JPEG thumbnails and XML files).

Offline jd20

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 01:04:15 AM »
Was able to confirm, using "Copy RAW Photos Only" seems like a workable solution for now: it imports both raw photos and MP4 videos, and ignores JPEG thumbnails. Unfortunately, I lose the XML metadata files the camera creates, but I can live without those. And PM creates XMP files for the videos, but I can live with that too. Hope that helps others importing from Sony cameras!