Author Topic: Auto Refresh Not Working in Version 4.5 - Mac OS X  (Read 3567 times)

Offline cwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Auto Refresh Not Working in Version 4.5 - Mac OS X
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:14:41 AM »
Hi. I don't know if my problem is exactly the same as juliank's, but 4.5 version won't refresh contact sheet other than the first one.  I normally open three different contact sheets.  Keeping all three contact sheets open, I go back and forth with Photoshop CS2.  As I finish processing one picture in Photoshop, I save it and see the result immediately in PhotoMechanic (I do this to compare colors & brightness relative to others, and also check over all quality of the thumbnail image).  Ususally (in previous versions) as soon as I save a file or modify a file in any way, PhotoMechanic updates the corresponding contact sheet by displaying a little circle next to "Sort in progress..." at the bottom left corner.  After it's finish sorting, the newly updated/added picture shows up in the contact sheet.

In version 4.5, only the first contact sheet behaves the way it was, and other contact sheets won't do anything.  So far only way to get the newly added/updated image in the contact sheet is to close that contact sheet and open a new contact sheet.  Of course, this isn't very convenient in my work flow.

I restarted the computer and tried it again...nope.

My computer is MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (latest) with 3 GB of memory with Mac OS X 10.4.9, the latest.

Let me know if you can recreate the problem at your end and need a fix on the version 4.5, or if I could do someting at my end to resolve this problem.  Meanwhile I can go back to 4.3.3 and keep working.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Auto Refresh Not Working in Version 4.5 - Mac OS X
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:53:59 AM »
Hi. I don't know if my problem is exactly the same as juliank's, but 4.5 version won't refresh contact sheet other than the first one.  I normally open three different contact sheets.  Keeping all three contact sheets open, I go back and forth with Photoshop CS2.  As I finish processing one picture in Photoshop, I save it and see the result immediately in PhotoMechanic (I do this to compare colors & brightness relative to others, and also check over all quality of the thumbnail image).  Ususally (in previous versions) as soon as I save a file or modify a file in any way, PhotoMechanic updates the corresponding contact sheet by displaying a little circle next to "Sort in progress..." at the bottom left corner.  After it's finish sorting, the newly updated/added picture shows up in the contact sheet.

In version 4.5, only the first contact sheet behaves the way it was, and other contact sheets won't do anything.  So far only way to get the newly added/updated image in the contact sheet is to close that contact sheet and open a new contact sheet.  Of course, this isn't very convenient in my work flow.

I restarted the computer and tried it again...nope.

My computer is MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (latest) with 3 GB of memory with Mac OS X 10.4.9, the latest.

Let me know if you can recreate the problem at your end and need a fix on the version 4.5, or if I could do someting at my end to resolve this problem.  Meanwhile I can go back to 4.3.3 and keep working.

Thanks for your help.

A manual rescan should work: Command-/ or choose Rescan from the File menu.

-Kirk

Offline cwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:54:24 AM »
It worked.  Will you be relaesing un update to make it automatic as it used to be, or do I have to adapt the manual rescan from now on?  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 01:07:10 PM »
It worked.  Will you be releasing an update to make it automatic as it used to be, or do I have to adapt the manual rescan from now on?  Thanks.

It should also have automatically updated when you switched back into PM from Photoshop.

I would like for it to automatically update when files are added/removed, but the system we use FNNotify() is unfortunately unreliable.  It is what we have to go with from Apple at this time (there are other far more complex methods out there too and some that are inefficient) but Apple promises something much nicer in 10.5 of Mac OS X.

I'll see what I can do.

-Kirk

Offline ludde_t

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 10:57:01 AM »
It worked.  Will you be releasing an update to make it automatic as it used to be, or do I have to adapt the manual rescan from now on?  Thanks.

It should also have automatically updated when you switched back into PM from Photoshop.

I would like for it to automatically update when files are added/removed, but the system we use FNNotify() is unfortunately unreliable.  It is what we have to go with from Apple at this time (there are other far more complex methods out there too and some that are inefficient) but Apple promises something much nicer in 10.5 of Mac OS X.

I'll see what I can do.

-Kirk

Kirk,
Sorry to dig up this old tread but it had the relevant question to quote.

Is there any update on this? I've tried using the "Automatically rescan when folder contents changes" option but I still cant get PM5 to auto update. I'm using a Phyton script to sync images to a local folder from a remote FTP. If I understand it correctly FNNotify() i deprecated in OS X 10.8, are you using a different approach in PM5 today?

Regards
Ludvig

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »
Ludvig,

I'll see what I can do.

-Kirk

Kirk,
Sorry to dig up this old tread but it had the relevant question to quote.

Is there any update on this? I've tried using the "Automatically rescan when folder contents changes" option but I still cant get PM5 to auto update. I'm using a Phyton script to sync images to a local folder from a remote FTP. If I understand it correctly FNNotify() i deprecated in OS X 10.8, are you using a different approach in PM5 today?

We still use that API.  The replacement(s) that Apple offered in later OSes do report file system changes, but they report them as the files are changed, not when they finish changing.  FNNotify() was better in this regard but it was "opt-in".

-Kirk