Author Topic: French Accents with Code Replacement  (Read 1203 times)

Offline ryan carter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
French Accents with Code Replacement
« on: July 28, 2021, 03:28:00 AM »
Hi,
I'm having a bit of trouble with French accents in the caption / metadata fields with code replacement.

I have an extensive code replacement list that for the most part works great, however when I use a code replacement that contains French accents, it appears as a question mark instead of the accent character I was hoping for. The accented character appears fine on my code replacement text file (Notepad application on a PC) and also appears fine in the caption field when I copy and past the word that contains the accent. The problem only seems to happen on a when I enter caption info using code replacement that contains an accent in the text. Some of the accents work fine and others cause problems...

I'm using PM 6.0-5820, my IPTC / XMP setting is set to write IPTC as Unicode, Latin 1 Western European.

For example
If "f" is my code for "Ferronnière", the è shows up as a question mark when used in the caption field. however it appears fine on my text file and if copied from the text file to the caption it appears fine.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Ryan

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: French Accents with Code Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 06:37:16 AM »
Ryan,

I'm having a bit of trouble with French accents in the caption / metadata fields with code replacement.

I'm using PM 6.0-5820, my IPTC / XMP setting is set to write IPTC as Unicode, Latin 1 Western European.

For example
If "f" is my code for "Ferronnière", the è shows up as a question mark when used in the caption field. however it appears fine on my text file and if copied from the text file to the caption it appears fine.

Your Code Replacement text file must be in Unicode UTF-8 encoding.  Open up your text file in your text editor.  Change the encoding to UTF-8 and save the file.  Restart PM6 and the problem should be fixed.  If your text editor doesn't allow you to change/choose the encoding type then you'll have to find a text editor that does offer that feature.

If you tell me what OS you're running, I can offer some suggestions for free software solutions that will work.

-Kirk

Offline ryan carter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: French Accents with Code Replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 03:03:16 AM »
Hi Kirk,
Thank you for the quick response! I have it all sorted out.
Kind regards,
Ryan