Author Topic: Saving from ARW Raw files to JPG in native Size Issues  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Raul3d

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saving from ARW Raw files to JPG in native Size Issues
« on: July 29, 2021, 05:56:33 AM »
Hi everyone.

I've read various posts here about how Sony RAW files on PM6 are seen much smaller and I've understood why.

In my case, what I used to do in PM5 is just open a folder with RAWs and when I wanted to save them as jpg's in their native size I would just use the 'save photo as' with the 'no scale' option, it would save it into a new folder and voila that's it.

Now since the previews are small, it seems that the exported size of the RAW files are also small when exporting into JPEG so I can't get the JPEG in their native large size.
Is there any way I can export the files into JPEGs in the original size now that this issue exists with the smaller previews?

Thanks in advance.

Raul

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Saving from ARW Raw files to JPG in native Size Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 04:13:30 PM »
Since PM6 does not currently render the raw content of the Sony files, the embedded jpg is all it can access. However, one roundabout way to do what you ask would be to convert the ARWs into .dngs first and from there saving as a jpg will net you the larger pixel dimensions (at least it did when I tried it -- I got 6000x4000 from A7C files).  (If you have Adobe DNG Converter installed, you can call it quickly from inside Photo Mechanic in the Tools menu to work on the selected files. It's not blazingly fast but certainly useable)

The other (probably better) option is to shoot Raw+JPG from the get-go.

Hope that helps

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits