Author Topic: Date issues  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Date issues
« on: July 30, 2021, 07:11:09 AM »
I am running PM+ V6.0, build 5820 on Win 10.  I posted in this forum because I don't believe this is a "plus" issue.

I don't know if this is a "bug" per se but I found it very confusing.  It took me several hours to figure out what was going on and to fix it but part of that was that I didn't know which software, PM or my raw developer, that was misbehaving.

My general workflow is to use PM to add metadata to my raw files and then to develop jpegs for a subset of those photos using rawtherapee.  The developed jpegs are devoid of metadata except for capture time.  I then use Tools / Update IPTC/XMP using the raw file as the source to reestablish the metadata. 

This has always worked fine for me in the past but last night I was ending up with the wrong date after the update.  That is, before I did the metadata update, both the raw file and the developed jpeg were indicating a date of 2021-07-25 via Image Info (right click) and also showing 2021-07-25 / Capture Time on the Metadata Info Pane (i).  However, after the metadata update operation was applied, the jpeg was now indicating a capture time of 2010-03-23 -- the raw file remained unchanged and correct.

And the combined image showed an incorrect capture time of 2010-03-23 -- that is, the jpeg time -- even though my preference is set to use metadata from the raw file when viewing combined raw+jpeg.  (It is a complaint of mine of long standing that PM seems to always go to the jpeg for exif data regardless of the setting of this preference.  My usual complaint is that PM is ignores gps data in the raw file if it is absent in the jpeg)

It turned out that the source of my problem was that somehow I had inadvertently set the date (not capture timer) to 2010-03-23 when I originally set the metadata using the Metadata Template but none of the photo info resources showed me this.  If I had subsequently cleared the template I never would have found the source of the issue. 

Once I determined what the issue was, it was easy enough to correct.  But PM was not helpful in this regard.  It would be helpful if the Metadata info pane were to show what the dominant date data was.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Date issues
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »
Once I determined what the issue was, it was easy enough to correct.  But PM was not helpful in this regard.  It would be helpful if the Metadata info pane were to show what the dominant date data was.

You can control what metadata is displayed by setting the "Info Text" which is used in the following places:

Info tooltips in the Contact Sheet
Image Info submenu of the contextual menu in the Contact Sheet and Preview windows
Info pane in the Preview window

You can set the Info Text by going to:

Edit->Settings->Set Info Text...

HTH,

-Kirk