Author Topic: can I know why pm6+ show only few exif values in the organizer?  (Read 6547 times)

Offline judas

• View Profile
hi
I have added several folders with my photos

there is not aperture value , iso , Ev and other exif data

and can I know why pm6+ show only few exif values in the organizer?
is a limit of the catalog ?
is there a way to have in organizer/browser more values/tag like ISO , or Aperture or other exif tags?
thanks

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 08:20:12 AM by judas »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: can I know why pm6+ show only few exif values in the organizer?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 09:16:56 AM »

They were not considered worthy of inclusion at the time we decided on what EXIF fields should be indexed.

Yes, though it could be changed.

is there a way to have in organizer/browser more values/tag like ISO , or Aperture or other exif tags?

No, not currently.

-Kirk

Offline judas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 10:52:43 AM »

No, not currently.

-Kirk
hi
do you think will be added in the new version ?
we have waited so much for the catalog , think about who are using the trial and thinking to buy
it's not cheap ,wonderfull software , but it's sad that I have to wait what x months , years
a catalog should include all the exif , and let an user customize them
think about photos taken at an high iso at night, easy find them and use photoshop and  a denoiser
or photos taken with a lens , select them and fix lens chromatic.....  , or photos taken with different ev ,select and we can create an hdr or a blend photo
thanks

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 11:36:15 AM »
iso, focal length, aperture, shutter speed, ev, etc. are all available as variables.  Therefore you can use variable to add these exif data to your images as tags, which are searchable. 

edit: Sorry, not tags, but as keywords.

Offline judas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 10:14:12 PM »
iso, focal length, aperture, shutter speed, ev, etc. are all available as variables.  Therefore you can use variable to add these exif data to your images as tags, which are searchable. 

edit: Sorry, not tags, but as keywords.
Hi Bob
how can i add exif data to images tags ?
i don't want to add to keybwords , i will be a mess up
thanks

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 05:51:56 PM »
My apologies, I said tags but I meant keywords.

That's what I do. On ingest, I use the metadata template to automatically add the following keywords to each photo:

{model}, {lenstype}, focal length: {lens}, {lenstype} - {lens}, aperture: {aperture}, shutter: {shutter}, iso: {iso}

Sorry for the confusion.

Offline judas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 11:00:53 PM »
My apologies, I said tags but I meant keywords.

That's what I do. On ingest, I use the metadata template to automatically add the following keywords to each photo:

{model}, {lenstype}, focal length: {lens}, {lenstype} - {lens}, aperture: {aperture}, shutter: {shutter}, iso: {iso}

Sorry for the confusion.
hi
so you have tons of keywords with exif data ?
yeah?
the problem for me is that other software could read all the keyboard and could be a really chaos

On ingest, I use the metadata template to automatically add the following keywords to each photo:

could be added in the catalog too?
could you please upload a screenshot ?
I'm tring without luck
thanks Bob
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:28:28 AM by judas »

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 05:45:29 PM »
Hi Judas

I'll get back to you with the screen shots, but my agenda is pretty full for the next day or so It will take me a day or two.

Bob

Offline judas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 10:14:52 PM »

They were not considered worthy of inclusion at the time we decided on what EXIF fields should be indexed.

Yes, though it could be changed.

No, not currently.

-Kirk
Kirk
On ingest, I use the metadata template to automatically add the following keywords to each photo:

can i add in the catalog the metadata template to add keywords like the  ingest?
might you please upload a screenshot or more or steps by steps ?
could be usefull for other users too?
thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 09:15:10 AM »

can i add in the catalog the metadata template to add keywords like the  ingest?
could be useful for other users too?

Steps:

1) Select a set of images.
2) Open the Metadata (IPTC) Template (Image->Metadata (IPTC) Template...)
3) Find the Keywords field.  Scroll if necessary.
4) Enter the text: {model}, {lenstype}, focal length: {lens}, {lenstype} - {lens}, aperture: {aperture}, shutter: {shutter}, iso: {iso}
5) Make sure both checkboxes next to the Keywords field are checked (including the one with a plus '+' is checked)
6) Click on the "Apply Template to Selected" button.

Once the metadata is applied and the catalog is updated, check the Keywords subtree in the Browse tab.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline judas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 09:21:13 AM »

could be useful for other users too?

Steps:

1) Select a set of images.
2) Open the Metadata (IPTC) Template (Image->Metadata (IPTC) Template...)
3) Find the Keywords field.  Scroll if necessary.
4) Enter the text: {model}, {lenstype}, focal length: {lens}, {lenstype} - {lens}, aperture: {aperture}, shutter: {shutter}, iso: {iso}
5) Make sure both checkboxes next to the Keywords field are checked (including the one with a plus '+' is checked)
6) Click on the "Apply Template to Selected" button.

Once the metadata is applied and the catalog is updated, check the Keywords subtree in the Browse tab.

HTH,

-Kirk
Hi  Kirk
will try , but i don't want that pm 6 plus will write all these exif on my image as keywords
i would like to keep on the database
thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 10:18:16 AM »
will try , but i don't want that pm 6 plus will write all these exif on my image as keywords

This is not currently possible.  The only data in the catalog that doesn't come from the images themselves is the Collections that you create.

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 02:56:27 PM »
Kirk's answer has probably upstaged mine, but I promised screen shots, so here goes.

I add the keywords on ingest.  I find that this is more reliable than doing it later, but I don't want to get sidetracked into that conversation.  On ingest I apply a metadata template which sets the exif keywords, my copyright info and a unique identifier.  The first screenshot of my ingest dialog and part of my metadata template.

The second screenshot shows the metadata info panel immediately after ingest.  No other metadata has yet been added, nor has a jpeg been "developed" from the raw.  Note that the chosen exif data are in the keywords field.

The last screenshot shows me browsing my keywords in the metadata (IPTC) section on the Organizer panel.  For this particular example, I have pulled up the 126 indexed photos shot with my Olympus M.12-40mm F2.8 at a focal length of 12mm.

Note that I have only been doing this for a month or two.  Time will tell whether this is a sensible thing to do or whether I have just clogged up my keywords with a bunch of useless data that would be a real pain to remove.

regards
Bob

Offline judas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 09:51:28 PM »
Kirk's answer has probably upstaged mine, but I promised screen shots, so here goes.

Bob
Hi Bob
really appreciate your help!!
thanks a lot , take care

Offline Stenis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 02:59:06 PM »

This is not currently possible.  The only data in the catalog that doesn't come from the images themselves is the Collections that you create.

-Kirk

I don't understand why there should be a good idea to add these EXIF data variables an extra redundant time to keywords or what ever.
The EXIF data is already in the image and there is quite a few ways in PM+ to use them and display them.

I can use "Edit - Preferences - Contact Sheet" to add the EXIF variables I like to see in the Image Text in the Contact Sheet for each and every Image.

I can also use "Settings - Set Info Text - Variables" and use the EXIF info that are displayed under the "Camera"-section of the variables.
These variables are displayed whn you make "mouse over" on any image in the Contact Sheet area.