Author Topic: Crop tool  (Read 4372 times)

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
Crop tool
« on: September 30, 2021, 07:18:33 AM »
Hello,

having green squares not only on the corners but also up, down, right and left of the crop would be useful (see the attachment).

Cheers,
Eliano

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Crop tool
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »
Eliano,

Hmm.  I don't mind adding the boxes for edge resizing, but the area that is the edge sizing is much larger than those little green boxes (it's almost the entire edge of the crop.)

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 01:01:51 AM »
Eliano,

Hmm.  I don't mind adding the boxes for edge resizing, but the area that is the edge sizing is much larger than those little green boxes (it's almost the entire edge of the crop.)

-Kirk

Kirk,

It's just an example to show the little green boxes up, down, right and left. Sometimes is useful because you have centred your crop in a part of the picture and you want just resize it maybe from the right, from the left, from above or below (like you can do with the ACR or Lightroom crop tool).

Best,
Eliano

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 08:35:11 AM »
Eliano,
Are you aware that you can grab anywhere on the top/side crop lines to move just them without the need of a green box? The whole line is the "box"...

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 03:30:33 PM »
Eliano,
Are you aware that you can grab anywhere on the top/side crop lines to move just them without the need of a green box? The whole line is the "box"...

What? Where?

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 03:41:32 PM »
anywhere on any line, just click on the line and drag, the line (and crop in that direction only) adjusts without affecting any other line or corner. I assume that is what you were asking for?

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 11:03:10 PM »
anywhere on any line, just click on the line and drag, the line (and crop in that direction only) adjusts without affecting any other line or corner. I assume that is what you were asking for?

If I click on the line I can only rotate the crop.

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 05:38:27 AM »

If I click on the line I can only rotate the crop.

If you are in constrained crop you can only use the green squares to adjust size. If you switch to normal crop you can use the lines between any of the green squares to resize. HTH

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 06:57:07 AM »
If you are in constrained crop you can only use the green squares to adjust size. If you switch to normal crop you can use the lines between any of the green squares to resize. HTH

Would be useful to use the lines between any of the green squares also (especially for me) if you are in constrained crop.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 09:02:57 AM »

Would be useful to use the lines between any of the green squares also (especially for me) if you are in constrained crop.

That's just not possible.  Constrained crops need to be sized from the corners only.

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 10:19:35 AM »

That's just not possible.  Constrained crops need to be sized from the corners only.

-Kirk

I know Kirk, this is why I suggested to add the green squares on top, bottom, left and right or also just using the lines to resize the crop in constrained crop mode.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 10:42:34 AM »

I know Kirk, this is why I suggested to add the green squares on top, bottom, left and right or also just using the lines to resize the crop in constrained crop mode.

Showing a green square or rectangle on an edge that can't resize (when the crop is constrained) would lead to more frustration.  Showing a sizing box on edges that can be resized would be beneficial and I'll consider adding it.  I'd tend to go for a rectangle that covers the full area that actually works versus a small box that makes the user think that they have to hit that small area in order for it to work.  It will look much busier though and some may find it unsuitable for their tastes so it would likely need to be a preference that is off by default.

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 01:00:53 PM »
Showing a green square or rectangle on an edge that can't resize (when the crop is constrained) would lead to more frustration.  Showing a sizing box on edges that can be resized would be beneficial and I'll consider adding it.  I'd tend to go for a rectangle that covers the full area that actually works versus a small box that makes the user think that they have to hit that small area in order for it to work.  It will look much busier though and some may find it unsuitable for their tastes so it would likely need to be a preference that is off by default.

-Kirk

Kirk,

for me, and I think for many users, would be useful to move the lines from the top, down, right or left with constrained crop activated, like we can do with ACR/Photoshop/Lightroom (look the attachment).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 01:42:03 PM »

for me, and I think for many users, would be useful to move the lines from the top, down, right or left with constrained crop activated, like we can do with ACR/Photoshop/Lightroom (look the attachment).

I agree.  It just can't be done right now.  The boxes, yes.  Changing it to work with edge resizing while constrained, no.

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 02:24:36 PM »

I agree.  It just can't be done right now.  The boxes, yes.  Changing it to work with edge resizing while constrained, no.

-Kirk

I hope you'll do it one day.