Author Topic: Slow Move between folders in PM - all versions  (Read 4586 times)

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow Move between folders in PM - all versions
« on: April 29, 2007, 02:56:42 AM »
This is not a new issue. In fact, it may not be an "issue" at all but rather a design choice:

In pretty much every version of PM that I've ever used, dragging a selection of images from one folder to another in PM results in a painfully slow move of the files, even on an extremely fast machine... I called in to Bob or one of the other guys on this back about 2 years ago, and was told at the time that a more "Finder like" quick move would probably be included in later versions. With 4.5 here, I still just see the slow behavior, without a fast option.

There is of course the workaround: By dragging the files outside the PM window into an actual Finder folder, you get the instant move you desire. However, I do find this workaround quite unwieldy, having to constantly re-arrange my windows just to make a simple move. This behavior seems unique to PM. I don't see it in Bridge, LR, Aperture, or anything else I've ever used. I'm sure there's some reason; I just don't get it :)

If I'm missing some way to enact the behavior I'm looking for, I would love to hear about it. If not, I guess it's a reiteration on the feature request.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow Move between folders in PM - all versions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
This is not a new issue. In fact, it may not be an "issue" at all but rather a design choice:

In pretty much every version of PM that I've ever used, dragging a selection of images from one folder to another in PM results in a painfully slow move of the files, even on an extremely fast machine... I called in to Bob or one of the other guys on this back about 2 years ago, and was told at the time that a more "Finder like" quick move would probably be included in later versions. With 4.5 here, I still just see the slow behavior, without a fast option.

What is the destination of your drag?  A folder in the Navigator?  A folder in the Favorites? Another open contact sheet window/tab?

The source and destination folders, are they on the same physical volume?

More information would be helpful.

-Kirk

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 02:04:42 PM »
Sure - here's my scenario exactly...

I create a folder for a shoot on my desktop. Within that folder, I have 3 subfolders: selects, non-selects, and jpegs, all of which are empty to begin with. I dump the shoot from cards to "selects" folder using Finder (I know, I should be using Ingest, but due to a particular and obscure Apple-caused bug that erased one of my cards during ingest two years ago, I still fear it - at the time I was employed at Apple and filed that bug there, ha ha :-)... obviously, they are on the same physical volume, but I would note that my startup disk is partitioned, and that my "desktop" folder is really a separate 100 GB partition unto itself, cleverly put back into it's proper place via symlink (theory being that this is my erasable scratch space so I don't have to contantly fragment the startup volume). I don't believe this Desktop arrangement to be contributing to this in any way - the issue was the same before I came to that arrangement.

I tag or color code a bunch of photos in the selects folder, then I view by tag or color code and do a select all of  those photos in the browser tab. At this point, I drag them into the non-selects folder via the Favorites pane. When I do that, I get a progress bar that indicates I'm moving about 1.25 files per second (Canon 5D RAW files), which is of course very slow. The behavior is exactly the same if I drag to the folder via the Navigator pane. This test in version 4.5 final today, but was same last time I checked in 4.4.x as well, and 4.3 before that.... If I drag those same files from the PM browser into a Finder window, the move is instantaneous (as in less than a 10th second).

My machine is 2.66 quad core with 5 GB RAM and experiencing no issues that would contribute to this.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 03:29:46 PM »
David,

Sure - here's my scenario exactly...

I create a folder for a shoot on my desktop. Within that folder, I have 3 subfolders: selects, non-selects, and jpegs, all of which are empty to begin with. I dump the shoot from cards to "selects" folder using Finder (I know, I should be using Ingest, but due to a particular and obscure Apple-caused bug that erased one of my cards during ingest two years ago, I still fear it - at the time I was employed at Apple and filed that bug there, ha ha :-)... obviously, they are on the same physical volume, but I would note that my startup disk is partitioned, and that my "desktop" folder is really a separate 100 GB partition unto itself, cleverly put back into it's proper place via symlink (theory being that this is my erasable scratch space so I don't have to contantly fragment the startup volume). I don't believe this Desktop arrangement to be contributing to this in any way - the issue was the same before I came to that arrangement.

I tag or color code a bunch of photos in the selects folder, then I view by tag or color code and do a select all of  those photos in the browser tab. At this point, I drag them into the non-selects folder via the Favorites pane. When I do that, I get a progress bar that indicates I'm moving about 1.25 files per second (Canon 5D RAW files), which is of course very slow. The behavior is exactly the same if I drag to the folder via the Navigator pane. This test in version 4.5 final today, but was same last time I checked in 4.4.x as well, and 4.3 before that.... If I drag those same files from the PM browser into a Finder window, the move is instantaneous (as in less than a 10th second).

My machine is 2.66 quad core with 5 GB RAM and experiencing no issues that would contribute to this.

Would you be willing to try a test version that logs messages to the console?  I added fast move support in 4.4.3.0 and it works for most folks.

Let me know privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message and sending me a personal message.

Thanks,

-Kirk