Author Topic: Slow transfer  (Read 9551 times)

Offline iau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow transfer
« on: April 29, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »
Hi,

I've been a PM user for about a month. Very happy with the program for its speed and the overall look of the program. However, it seems to be slower when transfering files from my CF-card than an other program I use (Downloader Pro 2). I tried with adding the same IPTC info and it seemed like PM used about 15-20% longer time.

Could this be or is it just some settings I need to check?

Thanks in advance.

-iau

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 03:14:13 PM »
iau,

I've been a PM user for about a month. Very happy with the program for its speed and the overall look of the program. However, it seems to be slower when transfering files from my CF-card than an other program I use (Downloader Pro 2). I tried with adding the same IPTC info and it seemed like PM used about 15-20% longer time.

Could this be or is it just some settings I need to check?

Do you have ingest copying to a Primary *and* a Secondary destination?

-Kirk

Offline iau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:37:24 PM »
No, I only download to one primary destination.

Can it be that the other program writes some info to xmp-files (which I don't like, btw)? I tried with only jpgs, too, but still it was a little slower. Same files, info and folders.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 01:37:55 AM »
You might have the "embed colour profile into camera jpegs" or the "set file time to capture time" or "embed photoshop resolution  info" options? Or are you embedding any IPTC info? Any of these operations might be slightly slower than just plain copy, I guess. But they are useful. And you can turn them off.

Frantisek

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 06:26:28 AM »
No, I only download to one primary destination.

Can it be that the other program writes some info to xmp-files (which I don't like, btw)? I tried with only jpgs, too, but still it was a little slower. Same files, info and folders.

Can you post a screenshot of your settings?

Use the "Additional Options" link to pick an image to upload and it will appear in your posting.

-Kirk

Offline iau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 09:38:15 AM »
I checked and, no, I don't have the "embed color profile into camera jpgs" enabled, but the other two you mention are checked. Maybe this is were the problem lies?

I've attached three screenshots. Hope they don't turn out too big.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 12:40:33 PM »
I checked and, no, I don't have the "embed color profile into camera jpgs" enabled, but the other two you mention are checked. Maybe this is were the problem lies?

You are applying IPTC Stationery during Ingest which will definitely take some time to do.  Whether that would account for 15-20%, I don't know.  Also by making it set the creation date to the capture date requires parsing the images for their capture time and setting the file attributes on the destination to reflect the capture time...

-Kirk
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 03:46:21 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline iau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 02:47:20 PM »
Thanks for your help.

I also applied IPTC data on the other import, but I'll try again without the date-stuff and see how it works.

Offline Straus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 08:54:21 AM »
I have noticed the same thing. For myself it's like 25-40% slower to ingest using PM than DL Pro or copying to the DT. I know that copying to the DT is not a fair comparison but all I'm doing is copying images to a folder and renaming them on ingest. I have turned off all the items listed above. The renaming function doesn't seem to add any time to the ingest process, I tried it both ways in PM. I just did a couple more tests and the results are pretty much the same.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 09:02:16 AM »
I have noticed the same thing. For myself it's like 25-40% slower to ingest using PM than DL Pro or copying to the DT. I know that copying to the DT is not a fair comparison but all I'm doing is copying images to a folder and renaming them on ingest. I have turned off all the items listed above. The renaming function doesn't seem to add any time to the ingest process, I tried it both ways in PM. I just did a couple more tests and the results are pretty much the same.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Can you post actual times from a clock/stopwatch and post screenshots of your Ingest dialog before you start the Ingest?

Thanks,

-Kirk