Author Topic: IPTC 'TOO MUCH' Info  (Read 4729 times)

Offline sid001

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC 'TOO MUCH' Info
« on: April 30, 2007, 06:35:09 AM »
As an editorial / news / sports photog, the old IPTC info window was perfect. I was able to quickly fill out my caption info without scrolling down or changing windows and all the necessary info could be seen quickly. I just upgraded to PM 4.5. This new IPTC info window is not quick or efficient and it's going to double the amount of time that it takes to enter, proof read and edit info. Is there a way to revert back to the old IPTC window? For me, one of Photo Mechanic's biggest strengths and major selling point was the previous version's iptc window.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC 'TOO MUCH' Info
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 07:12:19 AM »
As an editorial / news / sports photog, the old IPTC info window was perfect. I was able to quickly fill out my caption info without scrolling down or changing windows and all the necessary info could be seen quickly. I just upgraded to PM 4.5. This new IPTC info window is not quick or efficient and it's going to double the amount of time that it takes to enter, proof read and edit info. Is there a way to revert back to the old IPTC window? For me, one of Photo Mechanic's biggest strengths and major selling point was the previous version's iptc window.

There is no way to revert to the old IPTC dialogs.  A future version (likely 4.5.2) will allow customization of the dialogs so you'll be able to choose order and which fields appear and which ones to do not appear.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 03:53:10 PM »
Configurable IPTC order? Oh be still my beating heart!!!!!!   ;D

Will whatever field is listed first be the one to receive focus automatically?

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 04:00:22 PM »
Mike,

Configurable IPTC order? Oh be still my beating heart!!!!!!   ;D

Will whatever field is listed first be the one to receive focus automatically?

Yes.

-Kirk

Offline sid001

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 11:29:46 AM »
There is no way to revert to the old IPTC dialogs.  A future version (likely 4.5.2) will allow customization of the dialogs so you'll be able to choose order and which fields appear and which ones to do not appear. -Kirk

What was the reasoning behind putting all the extra fields into the IPTC dialog box? Now Photo Mechanic is too much like Adobe Bridge, which is real clunky. In fact, I opened the desktop folder and now I have to wade thru a bunch of .LNK's, .PDF's, EXE's and DOC's similiar to what Adobe Bridge does.  What happened to just seeing the jpg, tif, crw images? I looked in preferences but couldn't find any filter to use Photo Mechanic for just Photos.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 12:03:06 PM »
There is no way to revert to the old IPTC dialogs.  A future version (likely 4.5.2) will allow customization of the dialogs so you'll be able to choose order and which fields appear and which ones to do not appear. -Kirk

What was the reasoning behind putting all the extra fields into the IPTC dialog box? Now Photo Mechanic is too much like Adobe Bridge, which is real clunky. In fact, I opened the desktop folder and now I have to wade thru a bunch of .LNK's, .PDF's, EXE's and DOC's similiar to what Adobe Bridge does.  What happened to just seeing the jpg, tif, crw images? I looked in preferences but couldn't find any filter to use Photo Mechanic for just Photos.

Turn off viewing of Proxies from the View menu.  You'll never see those files again.

-Kirk